Easy & Yummy Foods to make without a full kitchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Being a college student is rough. You never eat at the correct time, food can be expensive and getting to the dining hall before it closes is a stretch. Most college students living in a dorm or maybe a sorority house don’t have access to full kitchens. Which can be frustrating because making ramen or mac & cheese every night can become repetitive and not healthy.  Here is some food you can make if you have a microwave, toaster or fridge.

#1 Grilled CHEESE

Image Credit

Who doesn’t like a gooey grilled cheese? I learned this trick last year while living at a sorority house! Take two pieces of bread and let them toast in the toaster, but only toast them a little bit because you don’t want them to be too hard. Pop them out of the toaster and spread some butter on the bread. Then take your sliced cheese, make a little sandwich and heat up in the microwave until the cheese melts (about 30 seconds). Then you have a perfect grilled cheese sandwich!

#2 Omelette…in a Mug?

Image Credit

Yes, you read that right…you can easily make an omelette in a coffee mug. I have done this a couple times at home when I wanted eggs but was in a hurry! Instead of buying a carton of 12 eggs, you can buy cartons of eggs or egg whites. If you are feeling like you want to add a little extra you can add bacon bites or bell peppers to the mix. Then you just combine all the ingredients in the mug and microwave for about 1 minute and 15 seconds.

#3 Burrito Bowl

Image Credit

Running low on cash and don’t want to spend over $10 at Chipotle or Qdoba for dinner? Try making this burrito bowl! You can buy microwaveable brown or white rice in bags or small plastic containers at the grocery store.  Next all you need is canned black beans (which is down the aisle from ramen) and some cheese.  If you are really smart you can try to snag some sour cream, salsa and avocado from your dining hall if they offer it.

#4 Ramen…

Image Credit

Yes, I know you probably have tried every type of ramen- chicken, beef, shrimp, spicy chicken and so on and so forth. But have you ever tried eating your ramen with an egg in it? Or have you ever tried to make your ramen without the high sodium salt packages they come with? If you want something healthier try making your ramen without the flavor packet, just add salt, pepper and maybe a leftover egg from the omelette you had earlier.

I am a junior at the University of Kansas. Studying Strategic Communications with a minor in Marketing. I am a Michigan Native! I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, attending basketball games, and writing for HerCampus!