Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Drunk and Naked: The Origins of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Image credit

Air conditioning, calendars, newspapers, and Valentine’s Day are all things that we have today, thanks to the Roman people. Historians haven’t been able to pinpoint the exact origins of February 14th traditions, but a celebration held by the Romans from February 13th to the 15th may have been the dark beginning to this lovely holiday.

The feast of Lupercalia was a celebration of sacrifice and men. Fresh meat would be given, and the women would line up across from the men to be whipped. They believed this would make them fertile. 

Everyone was drunk and naked, one tradition still celebrated today. Men would draw names of women and they would “get freaky” for the rest of the festival. 

Image credit

Years later, when the Christian faith grew to power, people kept their clothes on. The celebration became a muted version of what it once was.

Famous writers like Shakespeare began to romanticize the holiday in his writings and the holiday of love began to take shape. Across Europe, people began passing cards to loved ones and sharing sweets amongst one another.

The holiday was scooped up as a way for card companies like Hallmark to make money as soon as it spread to the New World. Today, cards are still passed, and sweets are still exchanged, but has the holiday gotten any less bizarre since Roman times?

Image credit

Last year, $19.6 billion was estimated to be spent for Valentine’s Day. This year, the number is estimated to reach higher than $20 billion. That’s no public whipping, but it still seems pretty outrageous. I love diamond earrings as much as the next girl but save your wallet and try spreading the love all year round. 

To appreciate Valentine’s Day, it’s important to remember where it came from. It may not have the sweetest backstory, but if you’re trying to mix it up this year, do as the Romans do. 

Native Wisconsinite studying journalism at the University of Kansas.