This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I am with 20-year-old girls all the time.  Literally all the time – I live with 70 of them in a sorority house.  Being surrounded by so many young women is truly empowering and has tremendously enhanced my college experience.  I wouldn’t trade it for the world. These women are my support system.

I promise I’m not trying to sell you on Greek life.  I’m trying to sell you on having a support system of women who make you feel like the best version of yourself.  Everyone deserves a hype-woman who will gass you up before a night-out in a new outfit.

Image credit

Here is my one critique: we need to add some new compliments into the mix.  “You look hot” isn’t cutting it anymore. And we need to do away with “you look so skinny!” oh my GOD please stop saying that.  PLEASE, I beg.

Think about it: when was the last time you gave your friend a compliment that didn’t have to do with how she looks?  Why are we so quick to tell our friend who just did a full face of makeup that she looks pretty, but we don’t even think to tell that same friend that she is working hard and is kicking ass in her classes this semester?

Image credit

I’m not anti-compliment.  Tell me I’m pretty! But also tell me that I’m smart and funny and brave and clever and talented and worth something more than just pretty.  I challenge you to start giving your friends compliments that are worth a damn.  We need to stop placing so much value on physical attributions.

Here are some compliments that don’t have to do with the way someone looks:

• Smart

• Confident

• Hard-working

• Generous

• Intelligent

• Funny

• Witty

• Powerful

• Strong

• Happy

• Caring

• Valuable

• Good listener

• Creative

• Talented

• You have good taste

• Successful

• Driven

• Passionate

• Imaginative

• Your laugh is contagious

• Leader

• Accomplished

• Understanding

• Biggest heart

• Selfless

• I can tell you put a lot of effort in that

• You light up a room

• You make me happy

• Dependable

• You mean your smile

• Kind

• Respectful

The list could go on forever.  Bottom line: uplift your sisters with your words!  Give her credit where it’s due. Show her that you see her busting her ass and making a difference in this world.

Sophomore at the University of Kansas