This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I want to start by saying I am a true crime junky. During quarantine I have caught myself watching tons of true crime Netflix shows and movies and the one I want to talk about right now is ‘Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer’. This documentary is about internet nerds tracking down the monster, Luka Magnotta, who killed cats and a human for the internet. I don’t want to give too much away so I’ll leave it at that and continue with why you should watch this series.

?? ? on Unsplash

This series makes you feel like you are one of the interent nerds on this case figuring everything out. It constantly has your mind running. I like that they have the actual people involved in this telling the story. I know that in most documentaries they do but in this one I can feel their emotions like they’re my own. I am able to feel their anger and frustration with the police when they don’t believe them. I can feel their sickness when they are targeted. Everything is just so, so vivid. 

This series also is very creepy. I binge watched this show all in one day and I was terrifed to go to bed. It was like watching a really long horror movie. This show isn’t extremely graphic but it’s graphic enough to give you knots in your stomach. So I guess if you have a weak stomach then don’t watch, but like if you can handle violence like that, it’s fantastic. (I know this makes me sound like a psychopath but I swear I’m not. I’m honestly just a junkie for a good murder documentary and I like when they can show footage or photos of things that a person really did.)

man holding remote, sitting on couch with woman, popcorn
Photo by JEShoots from Pexels

Finally, this series is extremely accurate. I wasn’t there when any of this was happening but if you look up any article dated before this documentary, the series follows what is written in any news article or said in any news clip. I love when everything lines up and stories are the same in every source. It makes everything more believeable. 

With that, go watch ‘Don’t F**k With Cats’. Go watch other true crime documentaries too, Netflix has a bunch of good ones. 

Couple watching Netflix
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

I'm ready to write!