DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte and Fresh Apple Coffee Cake Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With the coming of fall comes yummy food and drink flavors. Here is a recipe for a Pumpkin Spice Latte and a recipe for Fresh Apple Coffee Cake.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

If you are like me, you do not want to pay about $4 for a “tall” 12 oz Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte. Here is a recipe to make your own Pumpkin Spice Latte at home. This recipe makes a “tall” latte or about two cups of coffee.

Photo from restaurants.com

Morgan Allison, a recent graduate, says via social media, she would definitely make this recipe.

“Then I don’t have to drive to Starbucks which is an inconvenience since…you MUST drive everywhere [here],” Morgan said.

For ingredient measurements, see below.

First, brew your favorite cup of coffee. You can make it strong if you want a strong coffee flavor in your latte.

Add pumpkin puree to a half cup of milk. Add brown sugar. Then, add vanilla extract. Add the pumpkin pie spice. You can make your own pumpkin pie spice if you want. (Mix equal parts of cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg then measure from there).Whisk all of these together and microwave it for one to two minutes, or until the mixture is hot and frothy.

Pour all of the pumpkin milk into a tall mug or glass. Pour the hot coffee in. Add the half and half and the sugar.

Stir and taste. Add more sugar if you want it sweeter. If you would like, you can add whipped cream on top. You can also sprinkle some nutmeg on top.

This recipe, from RecipeGirl.com, takes about four minutes to make. That is shorter then some lines at coffee shops.

Adrienne Daley, a senior at KU, said, via social media, she would definitely try to make it if she had the right materials because Pumpkin Spice Lattes are one of her favorite fall things to make.

Here are the ingredients:

• 1/2 cup milk (type of milk is your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or make your own)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup hot brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons half & half cream (can use light half and half cream)
  • 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar, or more to taste
  • whipped cream, optional
  • ground nutmeg, optional

Recipelion.com suggests pairing a Pumpkin Spice Latte with this Fresh Apple Coffee Cake recipe.

Fresh Apple Coffee Cake

Kayla Benson, a senior at KU said, via social media, “If I knew how [to make a fresh apple coffee cake, she would]… I made apple crisp on Sunday!”

Photo from recipegreat.com

For ingredient measurements, see below.

Combine two cups of biscuit mix with applesauce, milk, sugar, softened butter, apples (peeled, cored, and diced), vanilla, an egg and one teaspoon of cinnamon.

Spread in a lightly greased 3 ½ quart slow cooker or a baking dish which fits in a larger sized slow cooker.

Combine the rest of the biscuit mix (1/4 cup), and brown sugar, firm butter, and the rest of the cinnamon (one teaspoon), nuts (optional), with a folk or pastry blender to form the streusel. Sprinkle over the batter in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high for about 2.5 hours and until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and can come out clean.

Here are the ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
  • 2/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup milk (type of milk is your choice)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened or melted
  • 2 apples, peeled cored and diced
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons firm butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Enjoy the Pumpkin Spice Latte and the Fresh Apple Coffee Cake together or separate!

Meredith is a senior at the University of Kansas. She is majoring in Journalism and wants to be a foreign correspondent one day.