This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Not one time during freshman year did I want to go home from college.  I was constantly making new friends, having fun every weekend, going new places.  I FaceTimed my parents maybe once a week so they could stay updated on my life.  I was finally out of my hometown; it was exactly what I wanted.

Even when as a kid, I never got homesick.  Remember that friend who slept over at your house on Friday night and saw no problem with staying until Sunday?  That was me (and annoying AF, who let me do that?). Same ideology in college – it’s like a sleepover with your best friends every night, who would ever want to leave?

Image Credit

I guess someone flipped a switch in my brain because I’m suddenly ready to take a hiatus from this endless sleepover.  I can’t tell you why; I just am. I miss my family and St. Louis and my bed.  Homesickness really crept up on me, that sly f*cking dog.  Really? Second semester sophomore year? I guess it was bound to happen eventually, or maybe this is karma for skipping my 8 a.m. a few too many times last semester.

Image Credit

I’d be lying if I told you that I know how to deal with it, but does anyone?  No one has it totally figured out, or else it wouldn’t be a thing. I am trying though, and it’s kind of working(?). Keep reading if you want to know some potential ways to get over homesickness. Or, if you don’t get homesick, you should still keep reading because homesickness will come for you like the plague one of these days – you just wait.

Call your mom / dad / grandparent / sibling / pet / you get the point.

Call them especially if you haven’t talked in awhile.  It’s always nice to hear your family’s voice. Something that makes me feel better is asking my mom to send me a picture or video of my dog; I miss him more than the majority of the people in my life.  Technology is truly a blessing.

Tell your friends how you’re feeling.

Chances are they’ve been homesick before, too.  If you go to college far from your hometown, like me, you probably have at least a few friends who grew up close to your school.  See if you could go home with them for a weekend. If you can’t do that, at least get away from your campus for a few hours over the weekend.  Big fan of long drives by myself.

Stay busy.

Acknowledge the issue, but don’t let it consume you.  Do whatever you need to keep your mind off of how much you want to go home.  Laying in your bed all day doesn’t count as keeping yourself busy.

Hang out with your high school friends who also go to your university.

Ignore this one if it doesn’t apply to you.  Maybe you’re that girl who was like, “I never want to see these b*tches again, PEACE.”  If that’s true, good for you. For those of us who don’t enjoy burning bridges, try reaching out to a friend who you knew before college.  They might give you a refreshing taste of home.

Finesse a care package from your mom.

I use the term “finesse” because I feel bad asking my mom to send me gifts.  However, my inner Joanne The Scammer knows how to pull a little somethin-somethin out of her every now and then.  The secret is to call her and ask her to send you a shirt or something that you “left at home,” and then she’ll probably send you a cute note and some candy or something like that.  Cash, if you’re lucky.

Image Credit

Plan a trip home.

Scratch the itch if you must.  If this involves buying a plane ticket, don’t do it  – that’s just pretentious. However, if you find a ride home or (even better) can drive yourself, pick a weekend and just go.  

Cheers to healthy coping skills!

Sophomore at the University of Kansas