Cute, Easy and Affordable DIY Fall Crafts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The leaves are changing colors, the air is getting chilly, all of the food is becoming pumpkin spice based… and your home looks very behind the times. Everyone loves fall decorations, from the carved pumpkins to the fake leaves and pinecones. There’s just something warm and welcoming about a home decked out in brown, red and orange! However, these professionally put together centerpieces and artfully hollowed out pumpkins can be expensive — and messy. Luckily, there are still dozens of easy and cute DIY decorations that you can make this season without breaking the bank! 

1. Glitter Acorns

These guys are so cute and so simple to make! You’ll need Elmer’s Glue, glitter, wax paper, a glass or plastic clear bowl and acorns. First, separate the tops and bottoms of the acorns. Then, dip the pieces in Elmer’s Glue. Next, roll the glue-covered pieces in glitter and set on the wax paper to dry. When the pieces have dried, apply a small dot of glue to the bottom of the acorn’s hat and press the pieces back together. Grab a handful of your new and improved tree nuts and scatter them in the bottom of a clear dish and viola! You now have a super-cute, super-affordable centerpiece for your desk or dining room table. 

2. Glitter Leaves

On the same note, glitter leaf garland is equally as easy and fun to make, not to mention versatile. Using the same ingredients as for the acorns, gather a bunch of leaves instead. Make sure that you pick up the ones that are the most whole and have the least amount of tears or breaks. You will also need ribbon, yarn or a stringing material of your choosing. Follow the same steps as with the first tutorial, but once the glittered leaves dry, tie the ribbon around the base of the stem. This will allow you to connect the leaves like garland or to hang them elementary school style from your ceiling tiles! 

3. Dollar Store Fall Owl

Your friends are sure to think that this cute fall owl is a hoot! This craft is for the experienced-looking-but-still-newbie crafter. It’s a little more complex than glitter and glue, but not by much! What you’ll need to do is make a trip to your local dollar store and pick up a felt owl, fall leaf assortment package, glitter glue, twine, a hole puncher and a hot glue gun. A detailed step by step tutorial can be found here!

4. Skeleton Door 

If you’re a fan of “The Nightmare Before Christmas” or friendly skeletons in general, you’ll love this DIY! This Skeleton Door dec is probably as easy as it gets when it comes to crafts. All you need are a few trash bags, scissors and tape. Cut two large circles out of the trash bag for the eyes, two small circles for the nostrils, a long curved strip for the smile and small straight strips for the stitches. Apply tape to the back and stick on your door. You now have your very own Jack Skellington door decoration!

5. Glitter Crayon Pumpkin

Pumpkins are such a staple decoration when it comes to fall, and this tutorial is fool proof! First, bathe your pumpkins in this to ensure that they stay fresh throughout the season. Then, gather glue, glitter and crayons. Cover your pumpkin in glue, then douse it in your favorite color of glitter. When that dries, heat the ends of your crayons with a grill lighter and press into the pumpkin until the wax starts to drip. Repeat this process until you reach your desired look. Let dry and place inside or outside to showcase your skills! 

See, it’s extremely easy and affordable to decorate any space for fall. For more DIY fall crafts, click here!