Pumpkin Pie Side
Pumpkin Pie Side
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Controversial Opinion: Why Pumpkin Pie is Better Than All Fruit Pies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s fall season, and you know what fall season means? Pie! Yummy, scrumptious, delicious pie. HOWEVER, not all pie is amazing. 

This might be controversial, but I think pumpkin pie is better than all fruit pies. I absolutely hate fruit pies. Always have, probably always will. It’s not even just fruit pies, but anything with baked fruit in it. There’s something so gross about a soggy piece of apple or blueberry that makes me want to gag. Even with all the spices in the world, no fruit pie can beat an pumpkin pie, and here are a few reasons why. 

pumpkin pie on table, fall meal
Photo by Element5 Digital from Stocksnap

My first reason: spices. Now, pumpkin pie only tastes good because of the pumpkin spice, not the actual pumpkin, but it doesn’t even matter. No matter how sugary or cinnamony or caramelized the fruit is, nothing can beat the taste of pumpkin spice. I mean, look at how many things are spiced with pumpkin spice. There’s a reason it’s called pumpkin spice season at coffee shops and stores. 

Pumpkin spice is the mixture of nutmeg, ginger, cloves, ground cinnamon, and sometimes allspice. In my opinion, the perfect mixture. Either in a coffee as a Pumpkin Spiced Latte, or especially as the classic pumpkin pie. Some fruit pies have nutmeg and cinnamon, but not all five spices, which might be needed to help mask the terrible texture of fruit pie.

That brings me to my second point: the texture. How many times do you go to the grocery store and think, hm, today I’m going to get the mushiest apple here? Never! Now, I admit, you aren’t eating a crispy apple, but a pie. But it doesn’t matter, apple pie has the grossest texture ever. Not even nutmeg and cinnamon, which are also in pumpkin spice, can make up for the texture. Don’t even get me started on a blueberry pie. The best blueberries are the ones that are hard and slightly sour. But in a blueberry pie? Mushy, too sweet, gross. 

My third reason: when you think of Thanksgiving, you think pumpkin pie and turkey. Or at least, I do. I’m from Kansas and being from the midwest, we always have to have pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (I actually have pumpkin pie all year round since I love it so much). Yes, we will have pecan pie, and, ugh, apple pie, but the one everyone gets a slice of is pumpkin pie. We have to buy the extra-large pumpkin pie from Costco since everyone wants a slice. Pumpkin pie is so classic, and it’s a must-have during the season.

Pumpkin Pie Whole Pie Top Down With Pumpkin
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Pumpkin is also so easy to make. All you need is condensed milk, sugar, pumpkin purée, and the pumpkin spice. But fruit pies, you need actual blueberries or fresh apples. What do you do if you need blueberries but they are out of season? Cherries? Peaches? You don’t have to worry about that with pumpkin pie! You can make pumpkin pie all year round since you use a can. 

Now before you say, “Look pumpkin pie is from a can of pumpkin purée, not fresh, so it’s not as good.” Let me tell you something. Keylime pie is usually from lime juice in a bottle. Are you going out yourself to pick fresh pecans for pecan pie? Are you making the condensed milk and taking the sugar from the cane yourself? No. So who cares if it’s in a can? You can make pumpkin pie year-round, and I will stand by my opinion on why that makes it the best pie. 

Reaching the end of this article, I will admit it might be slightly biased. I’m a white girl from Kansas who loves fall with all her heart. But that doesn’t mean my opinion is invalid and wrong. I’m honestly just stating the truth, pumpkin pie is better than all fruit pies. It’s my truth, and I will fight anyone on the subject ’til the end. 

Now just remember, it’s fall season, and almost Thanksgiving, so which pie are you going to enjoy? A gross fruit pie? Or a yummy, nutty, sweet, cinnamony pumpkin pie? I’ll let you decide, and come back to me after Thanksgiving and let me know that I was right after all. 

Unsplash / Element 5

Hi! My name is Alex Corbin and I'm a sophomore at KU majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience in the Pre-Med track! I'm a huge movie and TV show fan, and my life has been taken over by TikTok. I hope you like reading my articles!