This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This week, I went to my first ever concert at the age of twenty, which definitely brings down my cool factor. I mean, all my friends have been going to concerts since they were thirteen. At thirteen the only concerts I was attending was my bi-annual orchestra concert. 

I struggled for a long time with who I wanted to break my concert virginity. I thought about buying tickets for Greta Van Fleet, Paramore and at one time I even considered COIN. None of them seem to stick though. I had confidence that one day the perfect show would be thrown at my feet, and it did.

Not too long ago I got the opportunity to go see the band Mother Mother and I knew that it was meant to be. Mother Mother is a Canadian five piece band. They were popular and had great success in Canada but recently found notoriety globally after their songs started popping off on TikTok. Some of their most popular songs are “Hayloft,” “Verbatim,” “Oh Ana” and “Arms Tonite.”

To say my first concert experience was amazing is an understatement. I don’t think I had felt that much happiness in a long time. Not only was I with people I loved, but the vibe was astounding and the music was even better. 

Before Mother Mother we got to enjoy music from two up and coming artists. The first was Transviolent, a pop-rock band from California. This was my first time hearing about Tranviolent, but they were great performers and were super interactive with the audience. The next was an artist I’m more familiar with, Vundabar. I discovered Vundabar this summer from TikTok when their hit song “Alien Blues” went viral.

After the openers Mother Mother finally came on. Boy was it good. Their setlist was a mix of music from their new album, Inside, but also some of their classics. While this spotify playlist wasn’t exactly what Mother Mother played, it gives a good idea. 

I’m struggling right now to write about how great they were. I feel like I write a paragraph and have to delete it because my words can’t even come close to how I truly feel about the experience. All I can say is Mother Mother is amazing. You can tell from the minute they walk on stage that they care about their fans and are grateful for all of them. 

Several times throughout the show Ryan Guldemond, the lead singer, would give these sweet speeches to the audience. He talked about being yourself, how you’re not alone and how the concert was a safe space to be who you are.

After reflecting, there’s nothing I would change about my first concert experience. I could rummante on the fact that my feet hurt like crazy by the end of the night and I sometimes struggled to see the stage, but it all seems miniscule.

Moral of the story, the wait was worth it and if you’ve never been to a concert you need to get on that stat. Also if you debating on buying tickets to a Mother Mother concert DO IT NOW!

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.