Campus Celeb: Chancellor Adams ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Chancellor Lee Adams is a bright impassioned individual, up and coming at KU and in the world. You might have seen him strolling around campus with a bright smile on his face or in the senate chambers speaking on behalf of the Black Student Union (BSU); either way, it’s impossible to miss the spring in his step or the welcoming aura surrounding him.

Double majoring in African American studies and political science, Adams has a very particular set of goals and interests that he hopes to fulfill in his lifetime. Currently, Adams is the Vice President of BSU, the acting senator for BSU and a member of a Christian organization on campus called Cru. In his time at KU he hopes to become the President of BSU as well as the Student Senate President.

Adams says that BSU is his favorite thing to be involved with, not only because it is the first club he got involved with at KU, but because it provides a safe, supportive place for him on this campus where he can have a voice, grow as a leader and as a person while being able to uplift his peers.

“I believe black people are a beautiful people,” Adams said. “They inspire me in ways no one else can.”

Last year Adams had a goal to become the president of BSU but later reconsidered and only ran for vice president because he realized that being BSU president is one of the most important positions on campus and because he learned that the vice president gets to work directly with the freshman.

“I was sold,” Adams said. “I love the youth, I believe that our youth are the future of our organization. I knew without a doubt that I would not be perfect, but I could impact many of the freshman to succeed in school and this organization.”

As Vice President of BSU, Adams plays a very important and internal role in the organization. Between running board meetings, scheduling events, and seeing to the preservation and amending of the constitution he also manages the Freshman Action Team, which allows him to get to know and work with the freshman of BSU to teach them about the campus and about the organization.

Outside of his intense involvement on campus, Adams enjoys playing the piano, reading books, eating pizza and watching television. His favorite television show is Naruto. He says that even though it is a children’s cartoon, the work ethic and determination of the show’s protagonist is something that he likes to channel into his daily mindset.

“It’s nerdy, but I don’t care,” Adams said. “It’s who I am.”

Past his involvement and hobbies, Adams has a very grandiose vision for his future, which makes you respect his passion, drive, and optimism. Adams plans to graduate from KU on time and receive a degree for his double major; from there he plans to teach at a high school while he attends Yale University to get his PhD in political science and African American studies. After that he wants to be a professor in those disciplines. From there he hopes to become the Dean and, eventually, the Chancellor of a flagship university. Ultimately, Adams hopes to be the President of the United States.

What set him on this path? Even before his involvement with on-campus student organizations, Adams says that giving his life to Jesus Christ is what inspired him to be the person he is and wants to become. Words to live by? Adams cites Philippians 4:13 and a piece of advice given to him by a mentor here at KU: the future you want will not come if you are not doing what it takes to achieve that future now.