A Boomin’ Super Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Photo credit via sports747.com

Final score: 43-8

Seattle’s “Legion of Boom” absolutely dominated Denver’s record-setting offense, to score their first Super Bowl win in NFL history.

It wasn’t exactly what you’d consider a nail-biter of a Super Bowl this year. Many have been calling this year’s Super Bowl a disappointment because it didn’t turn out to be the intense battle everyone was expecting. On top of that, the commercials weren’t up to par with last year’s and the halftime show featured a bunch of sweaty 50-year-old men jumping around shirtless, A.K.A the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Hey, we can’t have Beyonce perform the show every year. 

Photo credit via nme.com

Despite all of this, I still thought it was an incredible game. I mean, did anyone really predict Seattle to nearly shut Denver out? You couldn’t blink for a second of this game without missing a major play or touchdown from Seattle. But, the top offense in the NFL couldn’t even manage to score more than 8 points the whole game. I kid you not, I was like a little kid jumping up and down on my couch, screaming at the TV every time a Seattle player made a run for it— sorry, downstairs neighbors— and I am not even a Seattle fan (or even a bandwagon Seattle fan). In reality, it was a crazy game that no one ever expected.

While Seahawks fans were sticking around to watch every last touchdown, some KU students, including Drake Bynum, a senior from Olathe, took to other Super Bowl festivities by the end of the game.

“I wasn’t really rooting for either team in the Super Bowl this year, yet, I always enjoy watching the game. Considering I’m a Chiefs fan, and they are rivals with the Broncos, I just decided to root for the Seahawks,” Bynum said. “The biggest highlight was pretty much the halftime show (I’m not usually one to say that) and at the Granada, where I was watching, more people were watching the puppy bowl by the time the game reached the 4th quarter. Overall, I had a good time watching football with friends, but, the actual game this year was boring. Go Chiefs.”

But, there were still some big Denver fans still watching until the final seconds of the game, like Megan Kliethermes, a junior from Overland Park.

“I thought that Seattle was just too quick for the Broncos. I thought the game and the commercials were horrible, neither one was exciting. If our friend wasn’t playing for the Broncos, I would have stopped watching it before it ended,” said Kliethermes.

However, not everyone seemed to be upset with this year’s game, including Hannah Silverthorne, a junior from Wichita.

“I was really excited they won and they completely deserve it. I want to know how much the positive team philosophy played into them winning the league and just the flow they were able to get in, in order to win the game in that fashion,” Silverthorne said. “The game wasn’t completely boring but it’s the Super Bowl and we all just have such high expectations for it.” 

Photo credit via dancemusicnw.com