Anna Schultz-Best Friends Running Through Desert Adventure Road Trip
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Best Things To Do In Lawrence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

5 months ago, I moved to a small town called Lawrence that is home to the beloved KU. Now, I have lived in Kansas my entire life; however, I rarely came to Lawrence growing up. It may have something to do with the fact that all my family are avid K-State fans. I know, I know, so disappointing, but at least I made the correct choice. Since I never came to Lawrence much, when I arrived, I didn’t really know what to do with my life. The town was so foreign to me and on top of it all many of my friends didn’t know much either. In my first article, I talked about how you should go explore the city your college is in. So that is exactly what I did. Over the course of the past 5 months, I have found some of the best places to go experience and I am going to tell you all about them.

This list will not be in any particular order:

Wells Overlook – This is by far one of my favorite places in Lawrence if you want a very scenic spot. It is surprising to me how many people don’t know about this place. In the more rural part of Lawrence, there is this overlook with the most beautiful view of the city. It is best during the sunrise and sunset. It is overall a great spot to get out of the craziness of college for a little bit and just have some peaceful moments to yourself or with friends. It’s an amazing place to clear your mind. Make sure to take lots of photos! Address: N 1402 Rd, Lawrence, KS 66049

sunset view of valley
Original photo by Morgan Van Der Wege

Clinton Lake – Personally, I have not yet been here, but many of my friends have and let me tell you it is a crowd favorite of Lawrence. People describe it as breathtaking during sunrises and sunsets and overall, just a fun place to go swimming, boating, kayaking, play beach volleyball, camp, and have a good time with friends and family. I will have to go and see it for myself, and I hope you do also!

Massachusetts Street – If you got some money to spend and you want a cute shopping spot, Massachusetts or better known as Mass Street is the place for you. There are many boutiques, restaurants, shops, and people who create a lovely atmosphere in downtown Lawrence. Most places on Mass are expensive so be careful with your money! Make sure to also see the rows of trees with Christmas lights every winter season!

Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

1900 Barker Bakery and Café – This is one of the cutest coffee shops/bakeries in Lawrence. It is small and hidden between the many different state streets, but their fresh baked goodies and fragment and delicious drinks will make it all worth it. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting like you are stepping into an old timey bakery.

South Park – Yes, this is a park, but stay with me. This park is another good spot just to walk around and clear your mind from the busyness of college. They have events like art shows on the weekends with small businesses and aesthetic scenery. Also! During the holiday season, the lights are up and ready for photos to be taken!

Explore the campus – If you are a KU student, it is safe to assume you have done this, but if you not, you are in luck because this is one of the most beautiful campuses out there. From the architecture on the buildings to the stunning potter’s lake, this campus outshines the rest. It may be big, but I promise you there is much to see.

Go to a football game or basketball game – This is a huge part of Lawrence. Football season is basically over now, but our football team has been doing great this year! The games are always so much fun to be at and storming the field after a win is always heartwarming. The basketball games are what we are known for with our newspaper confetti, famous rock-chalk chant, and our amazing team. It is definitely an experience you wouldn’t want to miss.

Breakout Lawrence – Again, I have never been here before, but like any other breakout room, a mystery is waiting for you! This is a fun activity to do with friends and a test to see how smart your friends are. There are many different themes so you will never get bored! Hopefully you can make it out before the time strikes zero.

These are just some of the few places or things I have found! I hope it helps you plan your next adventure, and as always, reach for the stars!

Madison Swafford is on the writing team for Her campus at the University of Kansas chapter! She writes mostly opinionated articles dealing with life and culture. Beyond Her Campus, Madison works at the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence where she utilizes her creative mind to help behavioral children and design lessons for them. She is also getting involved in the University Daily Kansan. Madison is a sophomore at the University of Kansas studying multimedia journalism with a minor in psychology. In Madison's free time, she loves to sing and read. She loves trying new things and hanging out with friends. Her competitive nature makes everything a challenge and she enjoys writing creative stories whenever she has the time.