This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Being a girl is amazing in its own right–but often times it can be downright tough. Although many wouldn’t trade their womanhood or feminine qualities for anything, society often makes it harder and harder to be happy with ourselves. The pressure to be perfect and especially look perfect at all times is plain suffocating, and it can make even the most confident person doubt themselves. We often keep an idolized or completly different version of what we believe we could be–or should be– inside of our heads. This is a toxic practice that is normalized as we grow up, since we are taught that its all part of being a girl. Even though there has been more diversity for all women in the media, there is still a long way to go. Unfortunately for us college-aged and older girls, growing up we were still taught that in order to be pretty or worthy, we must look a certain way. We were also taught that we must look a certain way to have the male gaze. Well, I say that we should condemn this perfect image of an unachievable woman we’ve made inside our heads, and learn to project self-love on ourselves and others. Obviously, this is easier said than done, but here are some self-care practices that will help along the way!

Source

One of the first things we do in the morning is look in the mirror, so why not fill it with positive affirmations? Reading things that you like/love right away can help you bring up your confidence. To start, get sticky notes and write down things that you appreciate about yourself and then stick it on the mirror that you use the most. The rest is easy! Just read the notes in the morning while getting ready and you’re set!

Source

Three words- TREAT YO SELF! Rewarding yourself for all your hard work or just getting through the day can add that daily boost of ~serotonin~. Even just buying small things, like a pastry or coffee, can give you something extra to smile about. Small things or big things that you do for yourself like this can add to your self-confidence by knowing you don’t need to rely on someone to make you happy. Even just enjoying a walk around campus or relaxing in your dorm can provide you with an opprotunity to breathe and reflect. Doing this solo can just add to that effect!

Source

Although riding solo can be empowering in its own way, being with your friends can feel just as good! Whether its shopping, going to a movie, or just enjoying each other’s presence, hanging with your girls can be refreshing. You can spread the self-love by complimenting each other, praising each other’s achievements, and bringing each other up when you’re down. Who doesn’t love a bit of girl gang magic? 

Hey! My name is Veronica and I am a freshman at the University of Kansas. I am majoring in journalism and I am so excited to start my writing journey at HER Campus!