The Benefits of Being Raised in a Rural Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Growing up in Small Town, America might sound like a nightmare to some people, but when you look at the big picture, it truly is a blessing. Because I grew up in such a small community, I was kept away from some of the truly horrendous parts of the world. I had an entire town that watched me become the woman I am today, and no matter where I was, someone was there to look after me. I may not have realized it while I was growing up, but living in a small community truly made me a better person. Personally, I believe the best part of growing up in a rural community was that it provided me with more than just a place to live, but a family.

Being raised in rural America will benefit you in your future because it will teach you to value the little things, and to make the best of what you have. We may not have a mall, or a movie theater, but what we do have is a community of hardworking people that would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need. When someone is in need, the entire township is there at your doorstep, most likely with food in their hands. When my mother fell ill and spent a lot of time in the hospital, I don’t remember a day where a pie or casserole wasn’t delivered to our front door.

Everywhere I go to this day, I have people telling me what a great young lady I’ve grown into and asking how my mother is doing. Of course, there are things about small towns that I don’t love, but having a community that cares turns you into a person that cares, and if that isn’t the greatest benefit of growing up in good ole Western Kansas, then I don’t know what is.

Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.