This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

A month of 2019 has already passed, which is bound to mean different things for different people. These last several could have brought happiness for some and chaos for others, but one thing’s for sure- it brought everyone some damn great music. As we say goodbye to chapter one (of 12), let’s reflect on some of the artists responsible for the great releases that January brought to the world of new music- and the artists who are steadily on the rise.

• Maggie Rogers

Image credit

Minutes after completely blowing Pharrell away with her now-hit single ‘Alaska’, Maggie Rogers looked into the camera and said, “I’m just making music I really care about.” Three years later, her debut album ‘Heard It In a Past Life’ is an example of just how incredible it is to be passionate. She has made huge strides in less than a month, and it’s safe to say that pretty much everyone is left wondering what will come next.

• Normani

Image credit

Following Fifth Harmony’s hiatus, Normani got busy embarking on a musical journey of her own.  After notable collaborations in 2018 with Khalid and 6LACK and beginning the year with a catchy single with Sam Smith, whispers of a long-awaited debut album have graced publications like Billboard and left everyone wildly curious. There’s no limit to what Normani could accomplish as a solo artist in the coming year.

• Mahalia

Image credit

After she’s graced 2018 with catchy non-diss track ‘I Wish I Missed My Ex’ and a versatile EP, English R&B singer Mahalia is on her way to a new peak in her years-long musical journey.  She’s been bursting with inspiration for years and people most definitely notice. Her newest single, ‘Do Not Disturb’, has been circulating only for a matter of days and has earned her a title as the “future queen of R&B”. For Mahalia, that future is bright.

Thanks, January, for letting us start this year off on a high note. Here’s to 11 more months of fantastic music. 

Lucie (originally from Tulsa, OK) is a fourth-year journalism major at KU. Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) coffee, new music, life in LFK, and every dog in existence (they are all good dogs). While being involved in a handful of student organizations on campus, HerCampus was her first step into campus involvement and she absolutely loves everything it has to offer. She is ecstatic to be HerCampus KU's content copyeditor.