This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Life can be confusing, and more specifically, deciphering our own inner code. It can be hard to understand why we feel things or act a certain way, and the field of psychology, sociology and many others work to research human behavior. There are many ways to categorize and recognize certain patterns within ourselves, and one specific (and important) concept to understand is whether or not you’re an introvert or an extrovert.

Firstly, it’s important to avoid stereotyping either category. Introverts are not shy, rude, or constantly want to be alone in the comfort of their dark bedroom. On the other hand, extroverts aren’t always outgoing, bubbly, or energetically bouncing around the town. Both sides can be unique to each person, and might not always be the same day to day. And, it’s possibly for you to be both an introvert and an extrovert! There’s no right or wrong way when it comes to understanding each other.

source

Introverts get their energy from within. They recharge their energy by spending alone time, such as reading a book or cooking a meal. Introverts enjoy one on one conversations, and don’t like talking on the phone or ordering food at restaurants. The fewer the people, the better. That’s why they have only a few close friends, rather than large groups of acquaintances. They only open up when they trust someone, and are generally more reserved. Introverts are good listeners and find it easier to focus and concentrate, especially when they can work in quiet spaces. Introverts don’t like attention, and they struggle with changes and control. Overall, this trait is more cautious, reflective, and reserved.

On the other side of the spectrum, lies the extroverts. They get their energy from other people, and recharge themselves by being social, with large events like concerts or parties. They enjoy group conversations and will speak in front of anyone at anytime, public speaking doesn’t faze them. Attention is something they crave, and they have many diverse groups of friends. They like to be heard rather than listen, and easily accept change. Extroverts go with the flow, but  get distracted by work easily. They don’t mind noise and open spaces, and are productive in group settings. Overall, this trait is more outgoing and social.

source

In conclusion, you may be even more confused about which side you fall on, but that’s okay: because there isn’t a right answer. Every personality is different, and it may vary by the days. Either way, it’s important to know what makes you thrive and grow as a person .

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com