Life > Experiences

Apps to Keep in Touch with your Long Distance Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As quarantine drags on, it has been becoming more and more difficult to keep in touch with friends other than keeping a Snapchat streak. If you’re in search for better alternatives, here are some apps to try out with your friends.

tik tok app on black iphone
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash

Cappuccino: Podcast w/ Friends

Ever tried to convince your friends to create a podcast together? With Cappuccino, you and friends can share audio stories, life updates, and jokes. “Beans” or short voice memos of your friends are mixed together to create your Cappuccino, a combination of your friends’ beans with background music. If you have trouble getting the ball rolling, there are an assortment of creative prompts to spark new conversations and stories. I use this app with my best friends who live out of state to leave life updates or funny encounters throughout the day. It’s a great way to stay close with friends or family. 

three women holding each other and smiling and laughing
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

Poop Map – Pin and Track

For all my friend groups who are more like family than friends and a bit eccentric, take a look at Poop Map. This app logs all the places you’ve pooped, complete with a rating and place for your friends to comment. Create your own poop league with friends and see who can conquer the most bathrooms. There is also a chat platform to discuss poopy business and the like.

Family Style: Co-op Kitchen

This multiplayer game is perfect for socially distanced get togethers of 2 to 8 friends. Family Style is a cross-platform party game that involves everyone to work together to complete recipes and fulfill orders before time runs out. Yelling out orders and frantically passing ingredients to and fro is normal in this game. It’s difficult to stay calm during this hectic game while everyone is trying to collect the required ingredients to finish their dish. Once I showed my friends this game, they were hooked on completing as many levels as they could.

Spotify Group Session Beta

This new feature on Spotify is a must try with your music-obsessed friends. No matter the distance, you and your friends and simultaneously tune into the exact same playlist or podcast on your own devices. This feature allows listening parties from 2 to 5, which is perfect for socially distanced silent discos or when neither of you want to share an earbud. People in your listening party can also control playback features such as pausing, play, skip and sending songs to the queue.

Teleparty (Netflix Party)

Missing those movie nights? Try Teleparty, a program that synchronizes your Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Disney+ with your friends’ screens. There is also a group chat feature added so no talkative friends interrupt the shows/movies (me). You can add 50 of your closest friends to watch the latest Bachelor episode simultaneously.

Netflix title screen
Photo by Thibault Penin from Unsplash

Hi guys! To get to know a little about me, I am obsessed with astrology, trying new foods and recipes.