Apartment Living – What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

One of the decisions you have to make in college is where you want to live and for some students that answer will be in an apartment. Whether you’re living with roommates or by yourself, there are some things you should know about apartment living if it’s an option you’re considering.

·         Budget

Moving into an apartment for the first time can be expensive because you have to buy everything from furniture to food. I suggest you make a list of everything you’ll need from kitchenware to toilet paper to tools. Also, shop around for the best deals on furniture.

·         Leases

Most people don’t read their leases and subsequently don’t understand what they are responsible for and what they are and are not allowed to do. For example:

o   Utilities – your lease will state what is included in your rent and what you are responsible for.

o   Rules and regulations – such as smoking, alteration or redecorating, noise, damage, late rent, subletting, etc.

o   Maintenance – this describes what you are responsible for and what your landlord is responsible for.

o   Pets – some landlords prohibit certain pets and charge for others. If you have or want a pet, make sure you check into what you can have and how much it’ll cost.

·         Existing damage

When you move in you should be provided a document that allows you to describe anything that is already damaged so you’re not liable for it when you move out. Some advice from my own personal experience, write down every crack, stain, etc. because landlords have a tendency of trying to charge people for everything.

·         Security deposit

Most landlords require a security deposit, which varies by landlord. This is security for the landlord against loss from damage, nonpayment of rent, etc. If you don’t breech your contract then you’ll be refunded the deposit after you move out. This should be included in your lease.

·         Co-signature

Beware that you’ll more than likely need the co-signature of your parents for your lease agreement to basically ensure that the landlord will receive your rent.

·         Renter’s insurance

Some landlords require renter’s insurance, which protects the landlord and the tenant(s). This should also be in your lease.

·         Utilities

Utilities can fluctuate depending on the time of year and how much you are home. Prepare yourself for high bills when the weather is extremely cold or if you always have a lot of people over.