This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With, well, you know what, 2020 has presented us with ample time for streaming. And if there’s one thing we could all use right now, it’s a laugh. But let’s face it, there’s only so many times you can rewatch The Office before you’re itching for something new.

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

Here’s a list of my favorite comedy shows that will let you laugh, cry, and distract yourself from the chaos that is real life.

Notting Hill gif
Giphy
1. Fleabag

There are few things on this earth I recommend as highly as Fleabag. Perhaps none. This show is so smart and well-written that it almost makes me mad that there is someone on this earth with that much talent. That person is Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who took home an armful of much-deserved awards for the show she created, wrote, produced, and starred in.   

Fleabag is the story of a lonely sex-addict who is grieving the loss of her best friend and can’t seem to stop extraordinarily—and hilariously—messing up at life. She is consumed with guilt and grief but is attempting to grow, and despite her many flaws you can’t help but root for her. Fleabag is jammed packed with shockingly funny moments but prepare yourself for some sobs as well. It also has such a great depiction of sisterhood that anyone with a sister themselves will be sure to appreciate.

Available on Amazon Prime

2. Broad City

This show follows two over-sharing best friends, Abbi Abrams and Ilana Wexler (played by the show’s creators and showrunners) as they ramble around New York City. In their twenties, these two women are broke stoners who are sick of their dead-end jobs and often quite clueless about how to function as proper adults. As funny and foolish and downright weird this show is, it’s also heartwarming through the unconditional love between these two best friends. No matter what problems they get themselves into, Abbi and Ilana always have each other’s back, which is so refreshing to see. This is a show that doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Available on Hulu

3. Schitt’s Creek

Although at its surface it may appear to be a cliché riches to rags story, great performances and skillful character development make Schitt’s Creek truly special. After losing their fortune, the Rose family—consisting of Johnny and Moira and their two grown, spoiled children—must downgrade from their mansion to a motel in a rural town called Schitt’s Creek. The best part of the show is undoubtably Catherine O’Hara, who plays Moira, the matriarch of the Rose family, and is one of the funniest people to ever grace the silver screen. She’s one of those rare actors who can have you crying laughing simply by the way she pronounces a single word. This show is much less explicit than the previous two, so it’s good if you need a show a little more family-friendly.

Available on Netflix

4. Dead to Me

Like Fleabag, Dead to Me is as dark as it is funny; it’s about grief, guilt, and forgiveness and another powerful testament to female friendship. In it, recently-widowed Jen Harding tries to hunt down the person who killed her husband in a hit-and-run accident, all the while bonding with an eccentric woman named Judy who she met in her grief support group. This show is highly addictive and additional proof that Linda Cardellini’s range is impeccable.

Available on Netflix

cottonbro via Pexels

5. The Mindy Project

Actor, writer and producer Mindy Kaling plays a successful Manhattan OB/GYN named Mindy Lahiri who, despite being an Ivy League-educated doctor, is nearly as ridiculous and dysfunctional as Kaling’s previous role of Kelly Kapoor in The Office. Also like The Office (for which Kaling was a writer, executive producer, and director), The Mindy Project features eccentric coworkers who are somehow lovable and those will-they-won’t-they office romances that will have you hooked.

Available on Hulu

6. Never Have I Ever

Another Kaling creation, Never Have I Ever will take you back to the awkward growing pains of high school. After the sudden death of her father, 15-year-old Devi Vishwakumar finds the already-difficult transition to high school made harder by her grief, her strained relationship with her mother, and the challenges of being a first-generation immigrant. She becomes determined to cast off her identity as a nerd and improve her street cred—which, of course, doesn’t go as she plans. This show is fun and sweet while also tackling more profound and relevant issues like losing a family member, struggling with sexuality, and rejecting cultural and familial expectations. It’s also being hailed for its non-stereotyped South Asian representation.

Available on Netflix

7. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

The life of a wealthy Jewish housewife-turned-comedian in 1950s New York is such a fascinating world to step into, and that’s what writer, productor and director Amy Sherman-Palladino allows you to do with this show. Not only is it sharply funny with plenty of binge-worthy drama, it has a much higher production value than your average comedy which means incredible sets, costumes, styling, and music. As well as being extremely visually interesting, it’s an inspiring story of strength, development, and perseverance as Midge Maisel tries to make it in a male-dominated industry, and it’s an interesting look into the life of a stand-up comedian if you’re at all interested in comedy.

Available on Amazon Prime

8. Gilmore Girls

This program is named for witty duo Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, who are best friends first and mother and daughter second. If I assigned one word to this show it would be wholesome. It’s also from the Amy Sherman-Palladino vault, and with its brisk, pop culture-infused dialogue it’s a 2000s C.W. gem that has become a cult favorite since its addition to Netflix. It has plenty of small-town charm, ship-worthy romances, and fab Y2K fashion that will make you miss the days of Juicy Couture tracksuits. It’s another family-friendly option.

Available on Netflix

Senior at the University of Kansas studying English and journalism & editor of Her Campus KU. You can find me hiding in the Watson Library study carrels or wandering around HomeGoods avoiding all responsibilities.