This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, it’s nearly impossible for me to study at home. There’s my TV, Netflix, laundry, cleaning, and most of all the temptation to skip reading the 500 pages of Political theory to take a nap. I made it my mission to find the best place for me to study. My criteria? It has to be quiet, not a lot of people rummaging around, no TVs playing, and little-to-no distractions.

1.) In the Stacks At Anschutz  

Yes, it can be a little creepy sometimes and yes, it’s like really quiet and sometimes smells like old books, but it is my go-to place. I head to the second floor, find the desk at the very back of the stacks and set up camp. It’s in the quiet zone of the library and the chit chatter of last night’s mistakes rarely disturbs me. It also rarely gets cell phone service, so no one can text me and give me reason to ditch my studies. It’s honestly my favorite place, and I fully believe if you are as ADHD as I am, you will love it too.

2.) Fourth of floor Watson

Honestly, any library is a solid choice to get your study on. But it’s the quiet zones and more solitary areas I find most comforting. The fourth floor of Watson is a huge quiet zone with desks for one and tables for you and your friends. It’s a nice big room and has plenty of seating. Most people don’t know about it or don’t utilize it, so you can usually find a seat.

3.) The Union

The Union can be a little noisy sometimes, but if you head down to the third floor you get the best of both worlds, booths and food. The Marketplace is on the third floor and has a large amount of seating available, including a couple coveted booths. If you can stand a little noise and some chit chatter, the third floor allows you to eat and study without having to travel far or settling for vending machine food. 

4.)  Java Break

Now I have only been there once and it was to actually grab some food, but after asking several students on campus, Java Break tops my list. Students like the atmosphere, the food, and the location. Right off 7th and Mass, you can hit up the clubs once you finalizing that term paper. Or just grab a beer to drink away your first rounds sorrows.

5.)  Potter Lake

We spend so much time inside, it’s nice to go outside and enjoy the beautiful day. Potter Lake is on campus and is perfect for a little midday study break. Grab a blanket and find a nice quiet spot and then enjoy the beautiful weather. Just being outside will make studying better… Side note, if it’s raining, it’s not a good place to study, obviously.

6.)  Starbucks

I mean, it’s cliché to say, but it’s an obvious choice. You have unlimited access to coffee and you can sit by the window and people watch. Most people who come into Starbucks come to study, so you don’t get people coming in and being loud. Which is always a plus. There’s one on 7th and Mass, which is the closest to campus.

7.)  Signs of Life

Signs of Life, located at 722 Mass street, was another suggestion from a fellow friend. It’s honestly the most adorable little bookshop I’ve ever seen. But also it has an awesome atmosphere for students. Everyone was friendly when I came in and I felt like I was in my library at home…Well if I had a library at home that is. It’s a great place to get writing for English class or just to grab a book and read.

Now you might find these places extremely helpful toward your studying needs, or you might already have that sacred place you have to study. There are millions of other places on and off campus that provide great studying atmosphere. These are just some of the top places that students use to help them make it through the stress of college. The most important thing is to actually go and study, season three of Gossip Girl can wait. Maybe. 

Cailey Taylor. Director of Administration for Her Campus KU Journalism and Political Science major at University of Kansas. Staff member of Good Morning KU and KUJH News.