7 Movies to Watch If Your Spring Break is Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If your Spring Break is like mine, I will be at home with my family, and getting appointments taken care of. The dentist, the asthma doctor, a massage, a fresh set of highlights, picking up prescriptions, and getting my favorite pizza place are all on the do-to list. However, with all the in between down-time I will be having, movies will be a must. Here are seven of my favorite chick flicks to watch over Spring Break.

Legally Blonde (Netflix)

I have been compared to Elle Woods more than once, with my 5-pound Pomeranian and blonde hair. I love this movie for many reasons, and the fact that it’s on Netflix is so convenient. I am all for “girl power” movies, and Elle makes getting into Harvard Law and succeeding look like just another day in the life, all while getting a perfect manicure and making friends anywhere she goes. I love this movie!

Hairspray (Netflix)

This movie and soundtrack were my jam back in the day, and I used to pop off to “You Can’t Stop the Beat” like no other. I love the underlying message of equality for all regardless of skin color or weight, plus John Travolta killed it in drag throughout the whole movie. I watched it the other day and was pleasantly surprised to still know the lyrics to most of the songs. Will be dancing along to this movie all spring break.

13 Going on 30 (iTunes)

While this movie is no longer available on Hulu or Netflix, after Ariana Grande’s iconic Thank U Next video came out everyone wanted to watch this movie again. I love Jennifer Garner and the premise of this movie about childhood wishes and welcoming reality can be so tough to digest. My two favorite parts are the closet scene and the final magazine spread!

Clueless (Netflix)

Cher Horowitz is my idol, right up next to Elle Woods, and ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of having a robotic closet system like hers. I dressed up in the classic yellow plaid skirt suit for Halloween and channeled my inner Cher. Did I mention that Paul Rudd (hot damn) went to the same college as me

Twilight Series (Hulu)

Whether you’re team Edward or Jacob (or both), the Twilight series was a huge part of our childhood. While Bella’s character development is subpar and most feel as if she doesn’t deserve two incredibly attractive and supernatural men fighting over her, the soundtrack from these movies make up for the cringe-y character writing.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Amazon Prime)

My all-time favorite movie for the time period, Audrey Hepburn, and of course, my favorite iconic jewelry company, Tiffany’s. Between the fashion, the storyline, and the camera angles of the early 60s.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (iTunes)

Along with Hairspray, Mamma Mia was one of my favorite musical soundtracks to jam too, and when the second movie came out last year, I saw it three times in theaters before buying it on my account. Amanda Seyfried is one of my favorite actresses and her singing voice is beautiful. Add Meryl Streep and Cher into the occasion, and this movie is sure to lift any spirits.

Overall, even if you have enough time to watch all of the above movies and then some, your Spring Break is sure to be a time of relaxation, and maybe a few musicals!

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com