6 Steps to Nail Your First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The start of freshman year at a university is one of the most exciting times in any woman’s life. Everyone has high hopes for their college career at first, but many people’s standards are not met in that first year.  It is imperative that all incoming freshmen have a game plan for how they intend to succeed. With these tips, college can be as easy as grade school.

Get organized: Words cannot express how much simpler life will be during your first year at a university if you stay organized. From your academics to other outside involvements, it is essential to have a place for everything. I’ve discussed how I keep myself organized during the school year before, and you can find that here.

Use apps: The one thing that is always around you is your phone. No matter where you are, Internet will usually be available. This is why I suggest downloading a few key apps onto your phone and computer so everything you need will always be with you or be easily accessible. Personally, I take all of my notes, make all my lists, store my textbooks and keep ideas all on various apps. Being able to quickly review my notes on my phone or computer before a test has saved my grades many times. My favorite apps for keeping everything together are Evernote, Wunderlist and Google Drive.

Learn about your campus:  There are “Welcome” events at every college. Utilize them! Many on-campus resources will be there with their contact information. Most campus clubs and organizations will have booths set up as well. 

Decide what methods work best for you: Do you take better notes on a computer or on paper? Is the best time to study in the morning, afternoon or evening?  Would it be a smart idea to reward yourself for studying? All of these questions should be answered before your classes begin. 

Develop a routine: Having a set schedule to adhere to every day of the week (aside from weekends) takes the question out of when you will do certain activities you may have trouble scheduling spur of the moment. Block out times to study, work out, have personal time and anything else you would like to add. Begin your schedule before school even begins to cement the process into your head.  

Have the right mindset: Far too many women come into their college experience with the mindset that mediocrity is normal. Don’t get me wrong, getting a B in a class isn’t the end of the world. In fact, if you worked hard to achieve that grade, that’s awesome! Oftentimes, women will settle for a grade when they didn’t work at the class as hard as they should have. If you tell yourself that a 4.0 is the standard, you’ll work harder to achieve that. Essentially, whatever it is you feel you deserve is what you’ll receive.

Freshman news and information journalism student at the University of Kansas. Rock Chalk!