6 Mandela Effects That Will Make you Question your Entire Existence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

How good is your memory? A phenomenon called the Mandela Effect might just make you question everything you’ve ever known. This phenomenon occurs when a large group of people have the same false collective memories of something for seemingly no reason. The strange phenomenon was named after an example of the Mandela Effect that had to do with former South African leader Nelson Mandela. After news of his death broke, thousands of people were floored, for they all believed that he had died while in prison. This confused people because many of them remembered a funeral service, riots in South Africa, and even an emotional broadcasted speech by his wife.  Nonetheless, he had indeed died on December 5th, 2013 and therefore, the Mandela Effect was born.

What is this family of bears named? 

If you said the Berenstein Bears, you’re…..well…..wrong. Many people SWEAR that it was spelled with an E, but the popular children’s books are actually titled the BerenSTAIN Bears. Crazy right?

Which picture is the correct label for this popular candy bar? 

Contrary to popular belief Kit Kat never actually had a hyphen…well unless you lived in England during the 1940’s, but other than that, there’s no dash between Kit and Kat….Weird?

Wite-Out???

This one messed with me SO HARD. First of all, why would a product meant for correcting mistakes be spelled wrong on the label? Um…what? Second of all, I remember it being spelled White Out? Am I the only one? Ok. 

Rubix Cube or Rubik’s Cube?

I personally always thought that this game was called a Rubix cube but apparently it has always been Rubik’s Cube. Who would’ve guessed? Not me.

“Luke, I am your father.” 

The popular line “Luke, I am your father.” was never actually said. Even the actor who played Darth Vader recited the line incorrectly during an interview. However, the line is actually “No, I am your father.” 

Febreze or Febreeze? 

Many people seem to remember the popular air-freshener as being spelled with a double E. However this was never the case. Mind blown.