6 Group Members Who Are Killing Your Grade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As the semester rolls along group projects start to pop up. Group projects are intended to teach students the
importance of working together as a team and build leadership qualities. Each individual student has their own way of learning and succeeding and when thrown into a group with students who learn differently, things can go badly.

There are six types of people in groups that can kill your grade.

The Juggler

This team member is a very busy student. They have to balance a full course schedule, homework, studying and a job or internship. When groups are assigned in class they have to juggle yet another item on their long list of to-dos. Although this person is great at organizing and prioritizing, they can be hard to get ahold of. If they can’t fit your group planning time into their schedule they can slow down the project.

The Overachiever

The overachiever is usually the one who takes the lead in the group. They set the times to meet and give out tasks to each team member. Having an overachiever can be a plus because they keep the ball moving. However, this person sometimes controls the majority of the work while the other group members just stand by and watch.

The Slacker

The slacker either likes or dislikes group projects. They personally procrastinate and when they are dropped in a group with other classmates deadlines are not met. The slacker tends to sit back and let other team members do the assignment. When they are given work, they either don’t do it or do it late. They use the group to boost their own grade by not doing much.

The Bystander

This person unintentionally messes up the flow of the project. They show up to all of the group meetings and nod their head to the ideas being thrown around. The bystander does not contribute ideas. They stand back while others decide what to do and give out assignments. The bystander does their work but they don’t put in much effort. 

The Loner

The loner prefers to work alone. They hate being paired up with strangers and have little to say in group discussion. Like the overachiever they tend to do a lot of work on their own. They don’t like to stay in contact with the group. They would rather do the whole project by themselves than share or cooperate.

The Naysayer

The naysayer has an opinion on everything your group does. If you like the idea of a PowerPoint presentation this person wants to do a diagram on the white board. This person is negative about being in a group situation and can bring the positive vibe down.

When the teacher notifies you that there will be group projects in your course, try to make the best of the situation. If you get a choice, try teaming up with people you know and will work well with. If you don’t have that option and are having trouble with a group member don’t hesitate to contact the professor . Don’t let a group member kill your grade.

Do these group members sound familiar? Let HC Kansas know and leave us a comment below. 

Maggie is a rising senior at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She has interned at Parents magazine and Glamour magazine and hopes to land an editing position someday. Maggie founded a health and fitness website called Get Fit Get Life and she is a personal trainer. She doesn't go a day without an iced coffee with a splash of almond milk!