This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
  1. Get your body moving

Though it might be a little late to achieve the summer body we all want, that doesn’t mean you should hibernate for all of summer. Set some fitness goals for yourself. It doesn’t have to be anything drastic; even just a one mile walk or swim every day would suffice. Just do something to get your body moving so you don’t fall into a funk and feel even worse about yourself.

summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
  1. Make a loose budget 

If you’re like me, summer is the time that you make the majority of your money. While your influx of money may seem large in the moment, make sure not to go around spending money like the summer steady income will be ongoing. I’m not telling you to save all your money and have no fun for yourself; if you are too money-strict the summer will be miserable. Just make a loose budget so you have money to spend when back at school; include simple things like restricting yourself to going out to eat X times each week. 

1. Fall back into a hobby

With the restrictions that come with living in a dorm room or honestly anywhere at college, it can be easy to forget a lot of the things you used to love to do. For example, I love to sing but when am I going to sing on a college campus? I am certainly not one to let my roommates hear me in my room. I almost forgot how much I loved it. Maybe you have a hobby like this that you never spend time doing at college. Use your time away from school as an excuse to practice something you forgot you love.

1. Prepare for the next year

Summer is the easiest time to procrastinate doing anything that has to do with the next year of school. It seems too far and distant to have anything to do with you; however, this mentality can often come back to bite you. For example, if you’re studying a foreign language, neglecting practicing it all summer can really make it difficult to pick the language back up the next semester. Save yourself the stress of coming back to school and playing catch-up.

1. Stay in touch

One major goal for summer should be to stay in touch with your friends at school. Just like how you stay in touch with family and friends when you go off to school, make sure to talk to and keep the relationships you made at school over your break. This doesn’t call for anything crazy like constant contact, but make sure to call one another every once in awhile and maybe plan a fun weekend trip to see them. Just because school is on break, doesn’t mean your friendships are.

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)