This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There will always be times when you feel like an absolute failure. Maybe this is because you didn’t get the job you thought you would be a shoe-in for, or you dropped out of a class, or you broke up with the person you thought was the love of your life. Maybe it was caused by a combination of a million small things. Whatever the reason, there will always be moments when you feel like you are at the bottom. When that time comes, you have two options: dwell on your feelings or move forward. If you’ve decided to try to do the latter, then this is for you. Without further ado, here are five steps to getting your life together, presented by someone who needs them.

Step One: Get on your feet again

The first step to getting your life together is getting up. Get back to your usual schedule, whatever that includes. Go to class, go to work, and for a while, let that be enough. Recovering from a failure can be tough, and regaining some sense of normalcy is the best thing you can do at first.

Step Two: Figure out what went wrong

It’s important to trace your feelings back to their source. This part is a little easier if what made you fall apart is something obvious, like failing a test, but it can be harder to figure out when you’ve been feeling on edge and struggling to keep up with everything for a month. In that case, start small. Between all of the little things that have added up over time, what is the common denominator?

Step Three: Be a better you

Now that you’re back into your regular routine and know what brought you low, take some time to focus on yourself. It might seem tempting to jump straight into step four and skip this one, but that’s the reason why you shouldn’t. Personal growth is so important when it comes to reaching your goals farther down the road, and this is also a good time to help address what caused you to fall apart. Take some time to improve yourself in ways that you think will be beneficial in preventing that from happening again. Not only will you be bettering yourself, but this will help you feel more confident moving forward.

Image Credit

Step Four: Make a Plan

It’s time to make your plan to success. Start by setting your goal. This can be absolutely anything; no goal is too big or small. Next, figure out how you’re going to get there. You aren’t going to be the world’s most skilled engineer or best singer overnight, so break down your main goal into smaller steps. Think of this as your game plan. It’s going to take time to get to where you want to be, but meeting these mini-goals along the way will help keep you on track. Finally, sit down with a calendar and your list of steps and figure out a timetable. If your goal is big, then you may have to estimate over several years roughly when you want to accomplish things by. Smaller goals can be scheduled even by the day. No matter the size of your goal, it’s important to make a plan so that you can consciously work towards it. 

Step Five: Move forward

You’ve recovered, you’ve planned, and now, it’s time to get to work. Start with the first step on your list and work from there. There are bound to be setbacks, but if you keep your goals clearly defined and are determined to succeed, then nothing can stop you. When things go wrong, treat it as a learning experience and use that knowledge to do better next time. It’s all about moving forward, no matter what.

By reading this article, you’re well on your way to completing step one. Congratulations, you’re almost done with what may very well be the hardest thing to do, which is to begin. Follow the five steps I’ve outlined and I’m confident you can do anything you set your mind to. I’ll be there alongside you, working towards my own goals. Even though it might seem daunting sometimes, the best advice I can give you is from my favorite Disney movie (and we should all take advice from Disney movies every now and then), Meet the Robinsons: Keep Moving Forward. 

Image Credit

Kaitlin is currently a freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in Journalism and Strategic Communications. She is passionate about a wide variety of things including the environment, politics, space exploration, and, of course, writing. Prior to writing for Her Campus, Kaitlin was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school's newspaper and is looking forward to seeing what new opportunities lie ahead as a collegiate writer.