burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be Basic This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

To quote Caty from Mean Girls “In the regular world, Halloween is when children dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” This is quote could not be any truer! College Halloween is filled with basic costumes like sexy animals, sexy cops, and sexy nurses. Most consumes include spandex, fishnet leggings and some type of themed hat but why does it have to be that way?? Sure, its fun to dress up and feel sexy but if everyone looks the same where’s the fun? So here are five reasons why you should NOT be basic this Halloween.

You Won’t Be the Sluttest So Why Not Be the Funniest 

My motto on Halloween is that I will never be the sexiest cat or cop but I will definitely be the funniest and more memorable. Get creative this Halloween! Go all out and don’t be afraid to go fricken crazy. My go-to costume is an old man because its easy to do and so fun! Last year my roommates and I all dressed up as old men and it was hands down one of the best nights I have ever had! Mix it up and try using wigs, makeup and props!

My roommates and I last year. 

Halloween is Cold

Halloween is at the most inconvenient time. It’s basically in November so its basically in the winter. Fishnets and spandex look cute when you put your costume on but once you leave the comfort of your home, you’ll freeze your butt off. Nothing is worse than turning blue waiting in line for the bars. If you get creative with your costume you can make sure you are warm and comfortable the whole night long. P.S. wigs will keep you nice and warm!

My roommate and I freshman year staying warm on Halloween.

Creative Costumes Get the Most Attention

The crazier you look the more attention you will get, trust me. Everyone is used to seeing the same basic costumes so when you roll up with a unique costume all eyes will be on you. People love creative costumes and are often jealous they did not think of the idea themselves!

My 5th grade Halloween costume. (Abe Lincoln) 

You Can Get Into Character

Have fun with whatever costume you chose. You can get super into character because its fricken Halloween and it only happens once a year. Halloween is a time to let go and not care about what other people think. So go all out and be as outrageous and extra as you want! 

It’s Straight-up FUN 

Stepping out of the box and mixing it up for Halloween can be such fun!! The whole point of the holiday is to have fun so why worry about being the sexiest of anything. Creating an out of the box costume allows you to be creative and have fun while making your costume!

My freshman year “Walk of Shame” costume 

Whether you are a sexy cat or an old man for Halloween remember that it is all about having fun! Halloween is the one time of the year that you get to be whoever you want to go out and make some college memories! Halloween is my favorite time of the year so be sure to catch my boyfriend and me dressed as Abraham Lincoln and George Washington this year! 

I am a senior journalism student from Chicago! I love snacks and hate college squirrels!