5 Reasons Going Home for the Holidays Sucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The holidays are great. The stress of school and finals is over, you get to give and receive gifts, and eat tons of food. But let’s be honest. Going home for the holidays sucks.

Source

1. Travel time sucks.

After finals are over, all I want to do is go to my room and sleep for a month. But no. I have to pack up, get in my car, and drive an incredibly boring three hours home. And some people have it even worse than me. If I had to get on a plane? No thanks.

Source

2. There’s nothing to do.

I’m from a really small town, so when I go home, there’s literally nothing to do except drive around for hours. Eating at the same three restaurants gets super old, and I literally start dreaming about Jefferson’s wings and Sylas and Maddy’s.

Source

3. My parents ask a lot of questions.

Where are you going? When will you be home? Why did you stay out so late? Who are you with? When you haven’t had to go through them for any decision you make in months, it gets annoying really fast. I was incoherent at a party a week ago and you didn’t have any questions then, Mom, I think I’ll be fine here.

Source

4. I miss my room.

I love my room in my house in Lawrence. My bed is super comfy, it’s decorated just the way I want, and all of my favorite things are there. When I go home, I have to sleep on a bed and be in a room that isn’t mine. I just want my comfy throw pillows and pictures of all my friends back, please.

Source

5. Family time gets annoying.

I love my family, don’t get me wrong. But when you’re used to seeing them maybe once a month, and then you’re forced to be in a house with them for weeks at a time, everyone gets very irritated, causing lots of fights.

Even though I’m not completely looking forward to going home for the holidays, there are some good things that come along with it. I get to eat my grandma’s cooking, see my friends that go to different schools, and take a well-needed break from college, just to name a few. Going home for the holiday’s can be really rough, but just try to make the best of it.

Hi I'm Ally! I'm studying journalism and dance at the University of Kansas.