5 Quickies on Ukraine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As most of you have seen on the news and all over the media, there is a serious crisis going on in the Ukraine. Ukraine, a country that borders Russia, is going through a big transition. There is a lot going on and there so many countries involved, so here are the top five things you should know about the Ukraine crisis to help better understand what’s happening:

1.)  Ukraine background

Ukraine is in Eastern Europe. It borders Russia to the east and northeast. It used to be part of the Soviet Union, but when the Union fell, Ukraine declared itself an independent state, and become part of Europe. Although it is primarily made up of Ukrainians, about 17% of its population is Russian, and the Russian language is widely spoken throughout Ukraine. Ukraine was invited to join the European Union, and have trade agreements with many European countries, but denied it to maintain and strengthen ties with Russia.

2.)  Leadership change

Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych was ousted and Arseniy Yatsenyuk was put into power as an interim. Elections for a new Prime Minister will not occur till May or possibly later, depending on how escalated events get in Ukraine. Yanukovych was pro-Russia and made many deals with Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia. The people of Ukraine wanted to join the European Union, and were upset when Yanukovych rejected the offer. Yatsenyuk is flying to meet with President Obama this week.

3.)  The Euromaidan Protest

When Prime Minister Yanukovych rejected the EU’s offer, people took to the streets in protest. In response to the protests, the government passed the Bondarenko-Oliynyk Laws, or anti-protest laws, which caused even more protests broke out, things started to turn deadly. Between February 18-20, about 98 people were killed in the riots. The old government was backed by Moscow, and when it was overthrown, many officials in Russia claim the coup was illegitimate and wouldn’t recognize the new government, nor the new prime minister.

4.)  Crimean Crisis

Crimea is an autonomous republic in the southeastern peninsula of Ukraine. It used to belong to the Soviet Union, but when it dissolved, Ukraine claimed it. Recently, Russian troops have been sent in and have essentially gained control of the entire peninsula. The peninsula is made up mostly of Russians, and the parliament of Crimea has asked to be part of Russia, despite Ukraine denouncing the request. If Crimea is annexed, Russia will be its only ally. Tony Blinken, the U.S’s Deputy National Security Adviser, said in a interview on CNN’s State of Union that if Crimea annexes from Ukraine and joins Russia, the U.S, along with the majority of the world, won’t recognize it. Ukraine has also made it clear how it wants to retain Crimea. Russia troops have been mobilizing throughout Crimea, but no violence has come from the Russian invasion.

5.)  International Effects

President Obama along with many other leaders have denounced Putin’s invasion of Crimea. Obama and many other leaders have warned Putin that if he continues to invade Crimea and Ukraine, and disobey international law, he will be isolated from the rest of the international community. Putin claims the invasion and mobilization of troops in so that Russians in Ukraine can be protected. Officials in Washington told Moscow that any move to annex Crimea would close the door on diplomacy.

Cailey Taylor. Director of Administration for Her Campus KU Journalism and Political Science major at University of Kansas. Staff member of Good Morning KU and KUJH News.