This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As I’m sure most of you know, we are now officially submerged into fall, or as I like to call it, SPOOKY SEASON! If you’re anything like myself, I am sure that you have been counting down the days until the beginning of fall festivities. I know that last year, as a freshman new to Lawrence from out of state, I was clueless on where to go to indulge in fall activities and apple cider donuts. So, for all you people who are new to Lawrence or just want some good fall spots, this one’s for you. Here are 5 of the best spots in or around Lawrence for all you spooky season lovers!

Photo by Marius Ciocirlan on Unsplash

1. Schaake’s Pumpkin Patch

Schaake’s Pumpkin Patch is a well-known pumpkin patch right here in Lawrence, Kansas. This fall spot offers many activities for people of all ages. There is no fee for admission or parking at this pumpkin patch which is a luxury if you’re a baller on a budget like myself. If you are looking for the perfect pumpkin, this is definitely the destination for you! The Schaake’s Pumpkin Patch has 30 acres of land full of pumpkins. They also offer activities including farm animals, a hay maze, playgrounds, and free entertainment. Another thing that stood out to me was their gift shop that is loaded with all handmade items from local contributors. Everything in the gift shop is one of a kind because it was handmade by individuals around Lawrence. This spot has a lot to offer and is certainly worth a stop. 

Photo by Natalie Grainger on Unsplash

2. Ciderhill Apple Orchard

Where are all my apple lovers? Ciderhill Apple Orchard is the place for you! This place has every apple-related item you could ever want. This location is only about 30 minutes away in Kansas City, Kansas. However, they have so much to offer including face painting, hayrides, a pumpkin patch, and five ponds full of a variety of fish! Not to mention the 38-acre apple orchard that also includes an assortment of berries that are also available for picking. They also have a gift shop of their own offering many different souvenirs and snacks to go! Plus, Ciderhill Apple Orchard is a glorious place to take cute fall pictures to up your Instagram game. Lastly, the orchard is open from August through October. If you have the time, Ciderhill Apple Orchard is easily worth the drive. Just make sure to make a reservation if you are going on a Saturday or Sunday.

sunflower field girl wavy hair off shoulder white dress summer
Maria Scheller / Her Campus

3. Grinter’s Sunflower Farm 

This farm is located in Lawrence, I actually just went to Grinter’s Sunflower Farm for my first time last week. I had so much fun, it was so pretty to see a whole field of Kansas sunflowers. Though this may not be a pumpkin patch, Grinter’s Sunflower Farm has a few fall things to offer- such as the Sunflower General gift shop where they sell baked goods, as well as locally made souvenirs and decor. The Sunflower General shop gets into the autumn mood to satisfy all of our fall needs by selling autumn-themed goods. Grinter’s Sunflower Farm is a great spot for photos and a good time!

Veggies!
Photo by Iñigo De la Maza from Unsplash

4. Pendleton’s Country Market

This is another lively place to visit in Lawrence that grows an array of different crops. They are open for other seasons besides fall, and they run a year-round promotion called Pick Your Own Seasons. When each of Pendleton’s crops are ripe and in season you can pick your own veggies and flowers out of their fields. Pendleton’s Country Market has pumpkins included in that promotion for the fall season. They grow many pumpkins in their pumpkin patch for families to come to choose their perfect pumpkins.

Photo by Patrick Fore on Unsplash

5. Gary’s Fall Festival

This is another spot that is not in Lawrence- however, it is 35 minutes away from here. Gary’s Berries has an annual Fall Festival that is absolutely worth a visit. The Fall Festival has many photo opportunities around the pumpkin patch and farm. Aside from the photo opportunities, Gary’s offers a corn maze, pig races, farm animals, food, a corn train, as well as many other endeavors. Gary’s Fall Festival checks all the boxes for fun fall vibes and is surely a fun spot to go with friends.

I hope that these locations were helpful, and I wish everyone a fun-packed spooky season!

I am a sophomore at the University of Kansas studying Journalism and Strategic Communications.