5 Halloween Costumes That You Already Have in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

October is here and the annual scramble to find the perfect costume for Halloween is in full effect. The possibilities are endless for what you could choose to wear, and there’s definitely a pressure to come up with something clever and memorable. You could always make a run to a Halloween costume shop, but usually that ends up in purchasing a $50 polyester nurse costume that’s arguably just underwear with a first-aid symbol on the front. Plus, no college student has the budget to be spending that kind of money on something that’ll only be worn once. With all of these struggles that you face while looking for a costume and more, it’s tempting just to throw in the towel and go with a black cat costume. Ladies, lets stop with the clichés and put in a little more effort than a Risky Business costume. Instead, try out some of these other more unique costume choices that use only items that you already own

1. Kim Possible

As a kid, you always wanted to be her. Now you have your chance this Halloween to rock the green cargos and do back flips while simultaneously swinging your red hair over your shoulder. Okay, maybe you won’t be doing back flips any time soon; but you can still feel just as cool and sly dressed as this childhood favorite. If you do decide to go as Kim Possible, I bet that at least one person will use “What’s the sitch?” as an icebreaker. 

2. Twiggy

Iconic, classic, and a representative for the 1960’s Mod era, Twiggy modeled a look that countless women tried to replicate themselves. Now it’s your turn to try and recreate the thick lower lashes and winged eyeliner and arrive at Halloween parties dressed as this famous British model. Go to YouTube and find a makeup tutorial, throw on a sweater, wear some round and brightly colored sunglasses and voila! You have an impressive costume.

3. Olympic Runner

Have all the girls in sky-high heels at the Halloween party envious of your comfy running shoes by sporting an Olympic look for your costume. Wear your daily workout attire paired with a fake gold medal and patriotic headband to appear as if you’re ready to take off sprinting down the track. 

4. Girl with a Pearl Earring

The famous paining, Girl with a Pearl Earring, is a remarkable masterpiece created by Johannes Vermeer that has inspired viewers all over the world, and even inspired a book and movie about the painting itself. Inspire your own kind of excitement by recreating the timeless look with a brown sweater, blue scarf, and of course, a pair of pearl earrings. 

5. Alice in Wonderland

You don’t have to be chasing after a white rabbit in order to look as darling as the adventurous and curious Alice. A simple blue dress and a black ribbon in your hair will make you instantly recognizable as the girl who gives herself very good advice, but very seldom follows it.

(Photo Credit: Cover photo – urbanoutfitters.com, Graphics created on polyvore.com)

Journalism Student, Arts Enthusiast, & Minneapolis Native.