This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Two things I am good at: balling on a budget and taking care of myself.  Here is a list of ways that you can practice self care WHILE balling on a budget!  Enjoy.

1.  Drinking water

This one is the easiest because you literally have to do it to stay alive.  What I want to stress is drinking enough water can boost energy levels, relieve headaches, it’s good for your skin, and so much more. The best way to start drinking more water is to buy a reusable water bottle (I personally recommend getting a Hydro Flask).  When I don’t drink enough water, I just feel gross on the inside.

Source: Hydroflask.com

2. Taking vitamins

If you aren’t already taking vitamins everyday, WYD?  Every morning I take vitamins before I leave for class.  I feel good knowing that I’m putting good things into my body.  And it’s also super easy, it literally takes five seconds. Vitamins are also pretty affordable and easy to find at any grocery store, and they have health benefits.

Source: Medline Plus

3. Eating well

I am a firm believer in the idea that eating well will make you feel well on the inside and out, and that nourishing yourself is a form of self care.  Make sure you get adequate amounts of macronutrients each day, eat your fruits and veggies, see your food as fuel for a healthy and energized body.

Source: The Girl On Bloor

4. Not eating well

For the “There’s a void in my heart that can only be filled by mac and cheese” kind of day.  Clean eating is great 90% of the time, but some food is just good for the soul.  I think it is just as important to listen to cravings as it is to eat healthy foods.  The key is balance.

Source: Imgur

5. Disconnecting

It can feel liberating to turn off your phone or laptop.  I used to feel like I was glued to my phone. It was in my hand everywhere I went, it was the first thing I looked at in the morning and the last thing I looked at before going to bed.  I spent an unhealthy amount of time scrolling through social media, and it was honestly draining. It’s hard to break the habit, but you can start by not checking your phone first thing in the morning, or turning it off when you’re with your friends.

Source: Tenor

There are so many other ways to practice self care, I think these are the easiest changes to incorporate in your day to day life.  Regardless, do what you need to do to take care of yourself. Feeling good inside and out can make all the difference in the world.

Sophomore at the University of Kansas