The 5 Best Things About The First Frost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of year when the days are becoming shorter, colder and you forgot it was once light outside at 9 p.m. Even though the night seems to be coming sooner, there are still plenty of things to be grateful about for Fall and Winter. Check out the five things you’ll want to remember as the colder months roll around.

1. “Falling Back”

I bet, like most people, you forgot about that extra hour of sleep you gain in the colder months. This glorious hour is the difference between an extra episode of Grey’s Anatomy and having to go to bed (okay well it doesn’t work quite like that, but it seems like a perfectly logical reason to me). Don’t forget, come Nov. 1, 2015, it’s time to dial back the clocks and catch up on those zzz’s.

2. Flannel Sheets

NOTHING says colder weather to me quite like flannel sheets. The fuzziness and warmth is just what you didn’t know you needed at night. As a kid, the first night of the year with flannel sheets was usually the best night of sleep for the year. I highly recommend in investing in a set of flannel sheets, like this adorable set. Cuddle up and prepare yourself for the best sleep you’ll have all year.

3. Cuddles

This one is tricky because cuddling is great year round, but like flannel sheets, it just seems better when it’s cold outside. Looking at the issue from an economic standpoint, you’ll save serious $$ on your heating bill if you can find your own personal space heater *wink wink*.  Don’t have a beau? Don’t worry. Body pillows were invented for those of us who don’t have a significant other. 

4. Riding Boots

Riding boots are the glorious outfit savior meant for the months of October-March (although I’d wear them year-round if I could). Like the cardigan, riding boots are the staple piece in your wardrobe that will literally go with ANYTHING. They pull together leggings and perfectly complement a cute sweater dress. 

5. Hot Breakfast

When it’s below 30 degrees on your way out the door, your body will appreciate something warm filling you up. Oatmeal is a great, quick, easy option for a filling, hot breakfast. Oatmeal isn’t your thing? Try a hot ham steak or some toast and Nutella (also acceptable year ’round). Regardless of your preference, be sure to get something in your system before heading out in sub-freezing temperatures. 

What are your favorite seasonal traditions? Let me know in the comments below!