4 Reasons Why Jealousy isn’t For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Hello again all of my lovely readers, I hope I’m getting the hang of this blog thing, yeah? Yeah, that’s probably not true, but if you guys stick with me, I’m pretty sure I’ll get better.

So, I wanted to talk to you all today about something that has been really bothering me lately, and that is jealousy and anger. Yeah, you all are probably thinking that I’m just here to complain about why I hate other people doing it to me and blah blah. But, in reality, I’m here to talk to you all about why I shouldn’t be jealous and you shouldn’t be either.

Being Jealous Shows Insecurity

So, let’s start off with the basics of why people get jealous of others. Actually, scratch that, there is no reason for anybody to be jealous of anybody! We are all beautiful and unique.

Jealousy is something that comes from a very insecure part of us. Us wanting to be better than we are, which I think is awesome. But, being jealous is not the way to achieve that problem. Over this past year, I’ve been jealous of thin girls, my sorority sisters who have more friends and even my teachers for not having homework. But, in all reality, I look at others because I refuse to look at the things I need to fix in myself.

My suggestion and first tip to all of you all is to strive to be a better you than the person you’re jealous of. Make sure you always compliment them for their strengths AND their weaknesses, but do that for yourself too!

Being Jealous Reveals Disappointment

When I usually get jealous of people, I think about all of the good things they have in life, rather than all of the bad things that they have. At least one thing I’ve noticed about everyone I’ve been jealous of is that they have a weakness, or something that scares them. There is no point in being jealous of someone who isn’t perfect and is going to mess up; you are going to be disappointed in being jealous of them.

Jealousy is just going to disappoint you in the long run. It’s not going to make you feel better about yourself or your weaknesses.

Being Jealous Makes You Hate Yourself

What I’ve noticed about myself when I get jealous is I start to think of all of the things that could be better if I were that person. I start hating myself for the things I can’t control and I start obsessing over things that don’t matter— sound familiar?

But, in all honesty, being jealous of others makes you focus more on others than yourself, and that will always be a problem. The whole point of living a life is for YOU to enjoy it and make decisions that are best for YOU, not because someone else made them.

So, start thinking about yourself and what makes you special, rather than focusing on what makes them worthy of your jealousy.

Being Jealous Isn’t Going to Make People Care

Probably the biggest thing that I have learned from jealousy is that the person you’re jealous of doesn’t care that you are. They have their own life to live and don’t need people bringing them down by wanting what they have.

So, I suggest to stop being jealous because you want people to notice that you are. For me, most people can tell when I am jealous of somebody because I don’t treat them very nicely or treat them too nicely. Those types of people that you’re jealous of aren’t going to care if you hate them because they have bigger fish to fry than you.

Alright everyone, that’s it from me today. I hope you enjoyed some quick advice from my jumbled up head and remember to love yourself every chance you get. I’ll talk to you all next time!

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_