jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 3 Main Things I Learned from My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This week being my last week of classes, I wanted to take a moment just to think about this year and all it has taught me. I can confidently say that my freshman year looked nothing like I had imagined it to, but that’s okay. I have realized so many things and I’m more concerned I had those discoveries than I am about how crazy my year really was. That being said, here are the three main things I learned from my first year of college.

1.    Everything is temporary.

I have said this in a previous article and I’ll say it again: nothing is permanent. Even when you intend them to be, the universe plays important roles in the way your life actually plays out, and when you think you have it figured out, you don’t. And the reason why? Because there will ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. be something that is out of your control. It’s just the way it is. There will be an obstacle you have to overcome that you don’t even have the power to change, but the way you react to those kind of situations is what speaks the loudest volume. And as you know, going through such a huge transition whether it be from a small town to a college town, or from a close-knit family to a school of thousands, it takes time to adapt to something like that.

Regardless though, it’s something I had to do. I had choices. I could isolate myself or try my best to meet people, get involved, and make the most of it. Some days I was better at doing so than others, and I will say I’m not entirely proud of the attitude I displayed on some occasions, but we can’t all be perfect. Living and learning through situations like that—the unplanned, unasked-for ones—build the most character along with the habits you have when things aren’t perfect.

Image credit

2.    Realize that you got you, but don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Self-love in its purest form is loving yourself from the inside out. I never ever would have realized how much you really have to have your own back until I got to college. You come to find out, with every encounter you have, who you want to be and who you definitely do not want to be. The truth is that you can be the kind of person who views everything in a positive light and will only see the best in people until the day you die, but having that mentality does not save you from spite, jealousy, and bitterness that this world sadly has amounts of.

College became a competition of who could get the best grades, figure out their future the fastest, or make the most friends. But then I realized something. I don’t care. I don’t have to worry about what others are doing or how far they’ve progressed because I’m not them and who they are says NOTHING about me. You’ve got to make the same connection and be proud of how hard you’re trying and of the progress you’re making.

Image credit

Another significant point though- there are very few who got to where they are alone. Never be afraid to reach out if you’re struggling in any way. There are people all around to help you whether you see it or not. In doing so, you are giving yourself the care and love you deserve and need. I remember getting on campus and automatically being overwhelmed with the amount of resources for just about every category of college/life there is, all in one town! It blew my mind how easy it is to find help in all these departments and even more to realize people actually care. 

3.    Take everything in.

Perhaps the most obvious of the three is this: I am only this age once. There is nothing promising me tomorrow. I find myself always saying “maybe next year..” like I have complete control over that. I look back on this year, and I get a little sad that I spent most of it worried and confused on the choices I made because I was so overwhelmed with the options I had and the future I wanted that I didn’t even stop and let myself simply live. Ever since realizing that I decided I was going to make the most of every day even when I’m not having the best one. From now for the rest of my life, I want to just live but live for me because I know I’m not getting these days back when they’re supposed to be the happiest times I’ll have. The world is out there, and I can’t wait to explore it, but for today, I think I’ll just take this moment in.

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?