14 Things I Learned in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

2017 was a whirlwind. For some, it was full of misfortune and bad luck, and for other’s it was a beautiful creative masterpiece. And for most, it was somewhere in the middle. I learned a few things from this year, and I’d like to share. Enjoy.

1. I miss Obama. Everyone misses Obama.

I think the fact that what’s going on now is so tragic is just extra salt in the wound. Obama is the giant bandaid and comforting hug we all need in this time of turmoil.

2. R.I.P Vine

Every day that passes is a regret that this beautiful creation of laughter and creativity is gone. RIP.

3. The eclipse was a letdown.

Honestly, I was happy to get out of class to watch and all, but the special classes were a pain, and it was cloudy. Not to be negative or anything, the once in a lifetime eclipse looked better in my head than IRL.

4. The government is a mess.

Just go turn on the news or flip open a paper, you’ll see what I mean.

5. The news is depressing.

Speaking of, I wouldn’t actually recommend that. Whether it’s saddening accusations or wildlifes destroying homes and families, the news needs more giggling babies and puppies.

6. The world is separated

There just seems to be a divide between opinions in this year, and I’ve learned that the world can still function with separation, it’s just a lot more difficult and sad and stressful.

7. Global warming is real

It was 70 degrees. In December. In the Midwest. Oh, and for all of those “hoax” folks, there is science behind it. Global warming is real, prepare yourselves for the heat.

8. Women are strong (The march in January, rebelling against Trump/ opinions on birth control, #MeToo)

But honestly, we all knew how strong women are, and each passing year reminds us more and more. Girl power.

9. Twitter can save natural disasters (Hurricane Harvey)

Countless tweets were shared across timelines to reunite lost families, pets, and belongings.

10. Wonder Woman rocks

Young girls everywhere have a new favorite superhero, and she kicks ass.

11. BEYONCE GAVE BIRTH TO TWINS.

This doesn’t even need explanation.

12. Despacito is so annoying yet I can’t stop singing along.

This song was a summer anthem until it was played four times an hour on radio stations across the world. 2017 produced this obnoxiously overplayed jam.

13. Eleven is still the queen of the upside down.

In October, Stranger Things 2 premiered, and the world went a little nuts. That is, until everyone binge watched it in one night and now have to wait another year for season 3. Either way, Eleven continues to win our hearts in her own bitchin’ way.

14. The Kardashian’s are still relevant as ever (and now pregnant).

After 14 seasons of KUWTK, the family continues to be the guilty pleasure of fans (or haters) all around the world. And now, three of the five sisters are pregnant! Even more publicity around the growing clan.

SaveSave

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com