13 Gifs From Harry Potter That Express America Under Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
1. When Trump’s first Twitter header as @POTUS was a picture from the inauguration of Barack Obama:
2. When the climate change and LGBTQ pages were removed from the White House website hours after Trump’s swearing in:
3. When Trump named his inauguration day the “National Day of Patriotic Devotion“:
4. When Trump signed an executive order to begin scaling back the Affordable Care Act, which provides medical coverage for 24 million Americans:

5. When Trump spent his first days in office insisting there was a “million billion” people at his inauguration:

6. When “alternative facts” was introduced as the Trump administration’s new alias for less-than-true statements:
7. When Trump signed memorandums to advance the construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, both of which had been met with harsh opposition from environmentalists and the latter of which poses a serious threat to the sacred sites of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe:
8. When the President, sitting in a room full of men, signed (ang greatly expanded) a global gag rule on abortion which, when it was last active under former President Bush, affected family planning, HIV prevention services, child care, and malaria services in several developing countries, as well as actually leading to more unwanted pregnancies:
9. When the President tweeted that he would be launching an investigation into his unsubstantiated claims of the “large scale voting fraud” that cost him the popular victory:

10. When Trump signed an executive order to begin official planning for his infamous wall along the US-Mexico border:

11. When Trump ordered what he described in a phone call to former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani as a “Muslim ban“, which temporarily halts the US refugee program, indefinitely bars Syrian refugees from entering the US, and blocks entry from seven Muslim-majority countries. There have been zero deaths on US soil from nationals of any of the barred countries between 1975 and 2015.
Notably, the seven Muslim-majority countries in which President Trump has substantial business ties are absent from the list.

12. When, in the face of that Muslim ban, acting Attorney General Sally Yates was fired over refusal to enforce what she did not believe was a constitutional order. She explained her decision saying, “Sooner or later, we’re going to have to confront the stark question of how long can we remain effectively silent in the face of presidential overreach. We’re going to regret the day if we remain silent on this issue.”
13. When former President Obama released a statement of dissent for Trump’s recent Presidential orders:
13. And, finally, when Presidential advisor Kellyanne Conway became the only person in America bringing awareness to the “Bowling Green Massacre”:

Photo credits: Header 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Libby Flood is in her final year of study at the University of Kansas, where she is pursuing degrees in History and Journalism. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she serves as an Ambassador for KU's Office of Study Abroad and recently spent two months completing an internship at the Centre for Investigative Journalism in London, United Kingdom. Her favorite things include travel, her dog and Pinot Grigio. To see her complete portfolio or to find contact information, visit www.libbyflood.com. Follow on Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin