12 Bags That’ll Make You Stand out on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As a college student, the one accessory that you’re probably going to use the most is a familiar and trusted backpack. It’s the bag that you quickly swing over your shoulder as you run out the door, and it holds all of your things that you need for class. You depend on your bag to not burst open under the weight of four textbooks, and to be honest, it probably needs to endure a coffee cup spill or two. There is nothing worse than a backpack that doesn’t fit your laptop quite right or that falls apart after one semester. That’s why it is so important to invest in a backpack that is comfortable, reliable, and universally stylish. It needs to work with the rest of your wardrobe since you wear it everyday, no matter the outfit. Not to mention that it needs to fit over your coat in the winter, but be light enough for it not to overheat your back in August. It can be stressful to find the right bag without conforming to the simple black backpack that everyone else has on campus, but no worries – I did the work for you. Here are 12 bags that’ll make you stand out on campus and will last for years to come:

1. STATE Bags Smith Giveback Backpack

(www.urbanoutfitters.com)

The best thing about this bag is the off-white canvas material and the unconventional opening at the top. It’s big enough for textbooks, yet doesn’t look large and overwhelming.

2. Lace + Leather

So obsessed with this lace & leather bag- very cute for walking around campus

3. Herschel Columbia Messenger

(www.herschelsupply.com)

Backpacks aren’t for everyone, and if having all the weight of your books on one side doesn’t bother you, a messenger bag is a fantastic choice. Especially this one. It has guys riding horses all over it! It’s quirky, but not over done.

4. Sunflower bag

What is better than walking around campus like the poster child for the sunflower state? Plus, enough room for all your books!

5. Jansport Flare 

(www.jansport.com)

Jansport is a classic brand worn by students everywhere, and this simple backpack will  definitely last until you graduate. Plus there’s a laptop sleeve, so you can’t complain there.

6. Laraway Floral Backpack ($48)

(www.francescas.com)

Mix this bag with a well put-together boho outfit and you’ll be sure to catch some attention around campus. (Wearing dandilions in your hair is optional.)

7. Tribal Print Bag

This tribal print will brighten up any day on the Hill.

8. Coral Sweat Nylon Backpack ($88)

(www.urbanoutfitters.com)

This brightly colored backpack would be well paired with an all black outfit and work as a statement piece. Bonus: most likely nobody else would have the same backpack.

9. Herschel City Backpack | Mid-Volume 

(www.herschelsupply.com)

Just about as simple as they come, this bag would work with pretty much any outfit combination. The flat and boxy style works well for keeping a small laptop and papers straight.

10. Black leather

This black leather bag is as great as they come- you can never go wrong with black leather.

11. Jayhawk Leather RuckSack Bag

(www.kubookstore.com)

Although this leather bag is a splurge, it is personalized with a small Jayhawk on the front flap to make it unique to the KU campus. Inside is a laptop pocket, and it can be found at the bookstore among many other Jayhawk backpacks and messenger bags. You can feel good about being a Jayhawk in a unique and new way.

11. Denim Bag

Though this denim bag may not be great for carrying tons of books, you’ll look great rocking a style that never goes out of fashion.

Journalism Student, Arts Enthusiast, & Minneapolis Native.
Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.