10 Simple, Random Things We Don’t Appreciate Enough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If your week was anything like mine, you need something like this article to brighten your day right about now. Therefore, I’ve created a list of ten things we don’t appreciate enough to make you smile. Choose one of these and simply be grateful that it exists! 

P.S. Life does go on, and each day gets better! You got this, sis!

1. Home cooked meals

Of course this is at the top of my list as a college freshman. Sure, dining hall food is great, and at KU, we get gourmet meals here, but NOTHING could compare to my mom’s chicken lettuce wraps or fresh hamburgers from the farm that Dad grills to perfection. I can go about two weeks (if even that) and then I’m missing it all over again.

2. Towels fresh out the dryer 

Ahhhh… so warm, so soft, and they smell great too! This is definitely one of those feelings you can’t put into words but goes unnoticed so easily. 

3. Sleeping in your own bed after being on vacation

You know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. While sometimes I’m not exactly looking forward to being back home, I am always ready to jump in my own bed at the end of the day. I’ve learned this from being in college too. Dorm life is, well, dorm life. Sleeping in my own bed is definitely at the top of my ‘pros of coming home’ list.

4. When a pup lays its head on you

Oh. My. Goodness. There is something about when a dog lays his/her head on you that makes you feel like you’ve found life’s purpose, like you don’t even need to try anymore because what else could you ask for? God bless dogs.

5. Actually finishing a workout

Despite how you feel during the workout (which is ALL sorts of terrible), when it’s over, it’s pretty great. Pride and accomplishment! I just did that. Now, where’s the nearest Qdoba?

6. Rapping a verse perfectly

You know the song I’m talking about; the rest is self-explanatory. Drop the mic.

7. Phone calls

My friend called me earlier this week to congratulate me on being accepted into journalism school, and that inspired me to add this one. Phone calls are so underrated. Something about someone actually taking time out of their day just to hear your voice or check up on you warms my heart! 

8. Getting out of class/off work early 

This happens in my journalism class on the daily. It’ll be three minutes until our scheduled end time, and our professor will let us out early. I’m like, “Thanks sis. You are a real one.” What am I going to do with three extra minutes? I don’t know, but I can tell you where I won’t be: in class.

9. The curl at the top of a perfectly made ice cream cone

Ice cream is good in all shapes, forms, and sizes: shakes, malts, soft serve, etc., but have you ever seen that perfect curl on top of a cone that makes you question if you want to eat it just because it’s so perfect?? (Just kidding. I will destroy it. Always.)

10. The tears that come from laughing too hard

To end my list, I want to emphasize how unnoticed these moments go. If I could somehow bottle up the happiness I feel while laughing so hard my stomach hurts and tears begin to flow, I would. How wonderful is it that we laugh because our bodies cannot contain the joy?

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?