This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s true, having a dog can be a lot of extra work. Endless hair on black sweaters, chewed up slippers, missing socks, potty training, stolen sandwiches, the works. But, the pros list always outweighs the cons, and here are the top ten reasons you should consider getting a dog. I mean, how can you resist a face like this?

Protection:

Even if you get a small dog, like a Pomeranian or a Chihuahua, they will loyally and fiercely protect you and your property. Or just bark so shrill and annoyingly that the bad guys will leave with their hands over their ears and their tails between their legs.

Exercise:

Big dogs, like German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers are great for activity, and maybe a little extra motivation to run the extra mile.

Distraction:

The world can be cruel and ruthless, and the face of pure love and innocence can help you forget the images on the news. How can one be sad with this by their side?

You can connect with other owners:

Everyone can bond over dogs, and getting one may be your way into the social group of your dreams.

It’ll up your social media game:

I will always seek out pictures of dogs over the picture from the party last night, and having a dog makes your social media pop even more than before. Plus, your dog is probably cuter than you at times if we’re honest.

Dogs teach responsibility:

Thinking about someday having kids? Dogs are a great way to experiment and discover if you have what it takes. You’ll be in charge of potty training, cleanliness, and feeding your new baby, but it’s all worth it in the end.

Learn sacrifice:

Owning a dog will help you think about something bigger than yourself. Even if you want to finish the pizza, it’s nice to share a piece of crust of two. Even if you don’t want to go for a walk, it’s thoughtful to bring out the leash and harness anyways.

You’ll look forward to coming home:

Dogs are like mini-party committees every single time you walk through the door. Enjoy the celebration dedicated to you, every single day.

Companion:

They don’t say “man’s best friend” for nothing, and having a dog is like always having a best friend, whether they accept it or not.

Cuteness:

And let’s be honest. Dogs are just too cute. You should get one. Really.

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com