10 Reasons ’10 Thing I Hate About You’ Is the Best Movie Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

’10 Things I Hate About You’ is not only my favorite movie, it is also the best movie of all time. It’s funny, it’s relatable, the cast and soundtrack and setting are all perfect. If you haven’t seen this movie then you aren’t living your best life. You absolutely need to make this the next movie you see, and here’s why.

Image credit

The Cast. There could not have been a more perfect cast for a movie. Joseph Gordon-Levitt when he was literally 18 years old and so adorable. Julia Stiles made Kat such a badass, Andrew Keegan was the perfect hot antagonist, Heath Ledger was perfect as always. Plus Larry Miller, Allison Janney, and Larisa Oleynik, this cast was perfect for every role.

Image credit

The Serenade Scene. This is potentially the film’s best moment. Patrick sings “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” from the bleachers to Kat while she’s at soccer practice. He gets chased around by the security, put in detention, and Kat flashes the teacher to get him out. Pure gold.

Image credit

The quotes. One of the most quotable movies of all time.

Image credit

Kat’s sonnet. One of the most quotable moments of the film, Kat talks about 10 reasons she hates someone (obvi our boy Patrick), but she breaks down talking about “the way I don’t hate you, not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” It’s one of the first times in the movie you see Kat with her walls down, not trying to act tough. It’s authentic and moving and makes you want to cry too.

Image credit

Mr. Morgan. Honestly one of the most underrated characters in the movie. Kind of an a-hole, but he’s clearly not scared to lose his job and call these kids out when they’re being annoying or insulting.

Image credit

When Bianca punches Joey. Sure, Kat’s little sister Bianca acts pretty self-absorbed throughout the movie, especially when going after our least favorite person ever, Joey. But at the end she realizes her own self worth and who her real friends are, and she punches him in the face for her sister, and knees him for herself.

Image credit

Ms. Perky. She might be the worst guidance counselor in history, but she’s hilarious and pretty much inspired 50 Shades of Grey tbh.

Image credit

The Soundtrack. Letters to Cleo and Save Ferris, both female led bands, are definitely stand outs in this movie. “Bad Reputation” and “I Want You To Want Me” are two of the most memorable songs on the sountrack. It’s grungy but fun and perfect for Kat’s taste in “angry girl music of the indie rock persuasion.”

Image credit

Heath Ledger as Patrick Verona. The actual love of my life. The curly hair, the adorable smile, the Australian accent, what’s not to love? Heath Ledger makes this movie perfect. If nothing else, watch it just to look at him.

Image credit

Girl Power. Kat Stratford is the epitome of the IDGAF attitude. From the very first scene in the movie, she makes it clear that she doesn’t give a damn about her reputation. She’s also smart af, getting accepted into Sarah Lawrence College in New York. She doesn’t let her dad make decisions for her, telling him that she’ll go to what college she wants. She challenges authority figures when she thinks they’re wrong. She knows she’s in control of her own body and she’s always true to herself. She’s the strong female character we all need and honestly, she’s my girl crush.

Hi I'm Ally! I'm studying journalism and dance at the University of Kansas.