10 Most Overdone Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Halloween is approaching, so be prepared to see these costumes again and again.

Witch

We’ve all seen it more than most of us would want to — broomstick, cheap makeup, a fake boil, all pulled together with a pointy hat. This person attempts to be Sarah Jessica Parker from Hocus Pocus but usually ends up looking like something out of the clearance Halloween section in Walmart.

Ghost

*Ominous moaning in the distance* Sounds like the start to a cheaply made Steve Beck movie, but fortunately (kind of), it’s your best friend dressed as a ghost… again. There are only a few ways you can spin-up an already “dead” Halloween costume idea. This person will probably show up caked in white make-up to the point of it being uncomfortable or, if they really want to be original, a white bed sheet draped over their head. Either way, you’re all are going to be pretty drunk so who cares?

Nurse

Aww, Halloween. Nothing like a great time to go out and create a gross misrepresentation of a pretty respected career. It’s not too hard, either. All you need is a nice white dress/skirt with red accents and a nursing cap with a red cross. Add a stethoscope and you will complete the stereotype perfectly. Even though nurses haven’t actually worn an outfit like this for ages, people will immediately know what you’re going for.

Pirate

Hook, eye-patch, old-fashioned tattered clothes, annoying — the perfect characteristics of a horrible Halloween costume idea. Just please don’t.

Fireman

Did someone say fire? No, it’s just another severely overdone Halloween costume. Not that I’m opposed to hot guys running around in just suspenders and pants covered in reflection tape, but for the sake of creativity, please leave this costume at home.

Cat/Bunny

Do you know the way to really impress your friends this Halloween? Sexualizing small animals. Not really sure where this trend started, but it’s obviously been used way too many times. As said in Mean Girls, “The hardcore girls just wear lingerie and some form of animal ears.” THIS WAS 2005. Please, if you want to dress sexy, totally go for it because it’s your right of expression, but please try to accomplish this with something that has slightly more originality than a pair of ears glued to a headband.

Devil

Aww, nothing’s sweeter than the Prince of Darkness himself. Like, what could be a more comforting costume idea than the satanic figure who is apparently supposed to torture you for all eternity when you get shipped to hell for that candy bar you stole back when you were 12? Either way, you will probably see someone dressed up as this at your friend’s Halloween party, wearing cheap red makeup and sporting a cute spiked tail, horns and a red pitch fork.

Princess

This is that nice Halloween costume that stemmed from early childhood movies and unrealistic expectations. Something just always seems so appealing about the glorified medieval life of being controlled in almost every aspect. The sweet misrepresentation of early Disney found a way to make this life seem a little better and, in turn, molded the minds of every young girl (and or boy) from present day to the 1950s. However, more recent princess movies also give out a great message of independence that young girls should definitely hear in this day and age (so hell yeah for feminism). Back to the point, there is almost a surefire way you will see this costume being sported at every single party you will ever attend. Just a sparkly dress and a tiara and you got it.

Cowboy

Yee Haw? More like Yee Nah. Coming from western Kansas, people would often sport this look to school. Please don’t be that person. Everyone has seen it: oversized straw hat, lasso, annoying (probably offensive) accent and cowboy boots/spurs. This idea literally drips cliché. In addition, when you see a cowboy, someone will usually be sporting an Indian costume and no one needs that. Let’s all try and refrain from racism this Halloween. Sound good? Cool.

Vampire

Nothing screams Halloween like a corny vampire costume. You will probably see this person meandering around the party, trying too hard to be mysterious and wearing an outfit including: fake teeth (preferably the snap on kind and not the full mouth little kid teeth), white makeup and black eye shadow (once again), a single drop of blood dripping down their cheek and a red/black cape. You look like every vampire from pop culture branching back to the 1940s. Congrats.