This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Why am I smiling at my phone?

These Instagram accounts are why.

Secret’s out. (hehe)

Image Credit: Tenor

Social media is a fun, creative, and empowering place when used for good. However, social media is also an easy tool for comparing your everyday life to every acquaintance, friend, family member, and celebrity’s highlight reel. 

I constantly need to remind myself -comparison kills.

(Comparison kills, we all have our unique & admirable qualities to share with the world!! It’s all in YOU, not them. Don’t forget;)

Image Credit: Pinterest

That being said, Instagram is an art and a curated feed. 

It’s filtered through, and nobody posts their bad days (which is okay!)

I try to keep this in mind, and amidst all the negativity and comparison social media can present; I have made it a priority to fill my feed with happy, informative, and positive accounts that I learn from and positively add to my day rather than just being another post I mindlessly scroll past.

These are ten of my favorite cute, inspirational, and positive accounts I believe are worth my follow and yours. They all make me smile when I see them in my feed.

I also might make you smile if you see me in your feed?? (@deemaalhihi;)

Image Credit: Tenor 

Oopsy, silly me. 

Now back to business. 

1. @mayapolarbear !! I am just going to say it. This is my favorite puppy page on all of Instagram. Yes, I know that’s a bold statement. 

Maya has 1.8 million followers, and I will advocate for her because she deserves every single one of them. 

Maya is in fact a Samoyed, not a polar bear (but even cuter oopsy). 

Image Credit:  JolyGram

I am very much in love with Maya’s adorable photo shoots, but what I love most about Maya’s a page that is unique to other puppy pages are her precious skits, YouTube videos, and tik toks (yes, she’s trendy too??) her owner @lingliyee posts of her. 

Have I ever seen purer puppy videos in my feed? No. My heart melts.

Image Credit: Gfycat

Image Credit: Pinterest

P.S. I had the photo above of Maya saved in my camera roll from Pinterest for months because it is the cutest thing I have ever seen (rightfully so), and I stumbled upon her Instagram page and discovered it was her months later. 

Not to be dramatic, but it was the best day of my life. :,)

1. @thishappypage

This happy quote page is an Instagram page I’ve more recently followed, and if I could tell you to only follow one of these accounts, it’d be this one.

I think these types of accounts are worth the follow because you never know when you’ll need to be reminded that things get better, life is good, and that the universe has got your back. 

Image Credit: Instagram

(The account recently posted this adorable list I have attached above  of “lovely things to include more in your life”, and I have it saved. It made my day and I’m excited to start implementing some slowly into my daily routine!)

Image Credit: Giphy

This happy quote page is unique in that unlike the typical Pinterest quote format (which I love too!) the posts are just a white background and your standard black text.

No fancy fonts, colors, and they all tend to be about a paragraph or so.

Something about how stripped down the presentation of it is makes it feel more genuine to me, and though longer than the typical cute quote you scroll by; I believe it has always been worth my read. 

1. @feminist

Image Credit: Instagram

The bio says it all, “the radical belief that we are all equal”. Feminism is not the belief of women being superior to men, it is the belief of women and men being equals. 

I am constantly learning about feminism, current events, and efforts being made towards equality everyday through this account.

It’s optimistic, empowering, and reassures me if we all work together, the future WILL be promising.

Their feed presents empowering photography, art, tweets, and videos of educated men and women challenging societal norms, advocating for equal opportunity, equal pay, body positivity, and does so with a captivating feed and informative, yet engaging captions.

Image Credit: Instagram

We should all be feminists!! 

1. @overheardla

Now we are getting at the reason you’ve probably caught me smiling at my phone. 

This account is hilarious and I am obsessed with it. (hehe)

Overheard LA is an account with 1.4 million followers, and its content is made possible by locals reporting both the odd and out of context to complete LA stereotypical conversations they’ve overheard.

People typically report it anonymously by DMing the account with the location they heard it at. But, if you really want a laugh just please scroll through this feed. It makes me so happy.

Image Credit: Giphy

→ There is also @overheardnewyork, @overheardlondon, @overheardsanfrancisco, and @overhearduniversity !! (if you want that relatable college student perspective;) 

1. @michelleobama

Regardless of your political views, I think everyone has the right to adore Michelle Obama. Political affiliations aside, she is an inspirational, educated, uplifting, and hardworking woman!

I love Michelle as is, but her Instagram is extremely optimistic and empowering as she posts about organizations of hers, and her mission to aid children in obtaining an education and go through college despite the obstacles that might keep them from getting there.

She particularly advocates doing so for young women!!

I love her informative and inspirational content. 

I also just adore Michelle, so like??

This is a no brainer for me??

Image Credit: Giphy

1. @jess

Jess Conte is an Australian YouTuber living in Los Angeles with her husband Gabriel Conte! (check out their vlogs and Jess’ channel- because they are both so cute and entertaining, oh my goodness) They are one of my favorite couples. Ever.  

Image Credit: Giphy

I love Jess’ feed, but more so I love Jess.

It truly shows in her videos but she is so humble, kind, and her Instagram content is so beautiful??

Whether it’s pictures of her and Gabe in LA, Australia, their puppy Milo, mini covers (her voice is so soothing and another reason to adore her), or happy doodle/quote posts she designs on her second account @letterjournal

I am never disappointed by a Jess Conte post in my feed. 

Image Credit: Tumblral

1. @deeplyastrology

Okay, before you ask my zodiac sign is cancer. Yes, that’s why I cry a lot. anyWHo-

Image Credit: Pinterest

I love following astrology accounts on Instagram, because I tend to enjoy  identifying with the situational characteristics of the signs through the format of Instagram astrological posts more so than just reading a daily or weekly horoscope.

Bonus: It’s so fun to DM my friends and be like “oh my gosh this is so you”. Because it always is???

1. @crybaby / @esma

What a perfect segway from me discussing myself being a cancer, to me introducing this next account -Cry Baby. Cry Baby is an online clothing brand, made by absolute girl boss @esma !! 

Their clothing is adorable and though the pieces are a little pricier, the company has pretty good and reasonable sales that take place about once to twice a week?? 

Image Credit: Instagram

Which I’m never mad about. 

The message behind the brand is that everyone cries and it is okay to cry over the good, bad, or nothing in particular. 

There is nothing wrong with crying, and thus being a crybaby.

Embrace the emotion and let it out!! (& look cute doing it;)

If my personality was an Instagram feed, it’d be the @crybaby feed. 

1. @grandemeester

I am an absolute Ariana stan, and this is in fact a fan page (given the grande of @grandemeester), but you don’t have to be to follow this adorable vintage inspired account. 

This account with about 105k followers, does post beautiful pictures and videos of Ari, but what I love about the account is the vintage inspired aesthetic, and quotes the owner posts (& her beautifully written captions make my day & keep me going:,)

She has a way with her kind words that makes me feel so comforted, heard, and not alone.

Her words definitely match the warm and fuzzy feeling her feed gives me.

(& a little Ariana never hurt nobody oopsy.)

Image Credit : Instagram

I mean that’s like about it, but also like…

1. @hercampus.ku 

Are you not already following @hercampus.ku?

Image Credit: Giphy

Hm, strange -thought that was a given.

Why should you follow, you ask?

Oh. 

I mean it’s the best, no questions asked.

So, we’ll see you there? mwaha;)

Image Credit: Giphy

Hi, I'm Deema! I'm a senior at the University of Kansas majoring in Marketing with a minor in Psychology! I enjoy all things fashion, makeup, mental health, and music related -especially my queen, @arianagrande.
Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com