10 Facts About Tiffany & Co (That Could Very Possibly Be Conspiracies)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Tiffany & Co. is famous for it’s diamonds, fine jewelry, and of course, the exceedingly high prices. But Tiffany’s is also famous for a few other things…

1. The robin’s egg blue color, officially called Pantone number 1837, used for the Tiffany boxes and bags, was named for the year Tiffany went into business. (Tiffany’s is so powerful, they have a trademark color.)

Nothing compares to receiving a “little blue box”, and this is even the title of a theory used in marketing- that how you present what’s inside the box all depends on the box itself. The blue box is a symbol of elegance, sophistication, and money with its signature color and silk white bow, and yet it is still just a cardboard box.

Photo

2. Charles Tiffany invented the engagement ring in 1886- called the Tiffany setting. (And it’s still the most popular ring today).

In 1886, Charles Lewis Tiffany created a ring now known as the “Tiffany Setting”, which is now the most popular ring worldwide. As said in Forbes magazine: “Seeking to expose more of the diamond’s surface and with it, more shine, Charles Lewis Tiffany, along with company gemologists, proposed a new contraption: a raised claw to hold a diamond securely but visibly atop a ring band. The blueprints for the Tiffany setting, as it was called, insisted on a special number of prongs, meticulous collet (base that grips the diamond) engineering and, most importantly, less metal obscuring the main attraction.”

3. 40 security guards were brought in during the filming of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (What are they hiding?)

The 1960’s movie starring the beloved Audrey Hepburn was the first movie granted access into the famous New York store to film. But just to be safe, Tiffany & Co brought in 40 armed security guards to keep the jewelry in sight.

4. Tiffany redesigned the great seal of the United States during the 1880s, which is now on the back of our dollar bill. (Tiffany is pretty friendly with the American government…. what do they control, what do they know?)

Tiffany & Co likes to label themselves as the American institution. “For over 170 years, Tiffany has been there for America’s important moments. During the Civil War, Tiffany produced ceremonial swords. Tiffany designs have graced both the Congressional Medal of Honor and the dollar bill. U.S. presidents have turned to Tiffany to create the White House china, gifts for visiting dignitaries or jewelry for the First Lady.”

5. Tiffany designs many popular sports trophies and rings. (They are even a part of the world of sports, not just jewelry.)

Tiffany & Co is more than a simple jewelry company, and is credited for designing many products for celebrities and athletes, including famous and well-known trophies. An excerpt from the Tiffany website says:  “Nothing recognizes achievement in sports like Tiffany trophies, which have been at the center of American sports since 1860 with the creation of a horse racing trophy. Tiffany created the first world championship baseball trophy in 1888, and has produced the World Series® trophy since 2000. In 1909, Tiffany designed an eight-foot trophy for the Indianapolis 500 and today makes the NASCAR Sprint Cup. In 1967, the National Football League awarded the first Super Bowl trophy, a Tiffany design. For sailing, horse racing and dozens of other events, a Tiffany trophy is the coveted symbol of victory. Tiffany has also created magnificent rings to honor the champions of the National Football League, Major League Baseball® and USA Basketball.”

6. A blue box can only be given when an item is purchased. (This company and its products are so desired, even the boxes are wanting to be bought.)

Tiffany & Co developed a rule after the blue box became nearly as sought after as the jewelry inside, that the box itself cannot be bought individually. One must buy a piece of jewelry to receive it.

7. Tiffany developed the silver standard for the entire United States.

1851, Tiffany was the first American company to institute the 925/1000 sterling silver standard which was later adopted by the United States.

A little background on metal: “Silver in its pure form is a very soft metal, consequently, when objects are created from silver, it is almost always alloyed with another metal to give it strength and durability. Historically, copper is the metal most commonly used to alloy silver. The metals are blended together in a molten state and the proportion of silver to copper defines the alloy’s purity or fineness. When a specific fineness is used predominantly or compulsorily in any region or country, it is known as the silver standard. Differing silver standards have been known by many names and measured within differing systems throughout history. Over the last 150 years or so, for ease of understanding and uniformity, a decimal measuring system has come into use. Within this system an alloy of 92.5% silver + 7.5% copper = .925 silver, the decimal number indicates the amount of pure silver in parts per thousandth.”

8. There are only 64 Tiffany stores in the country (more secrecy, but why Tiffany?)

Known for its exclusivity, Tiffany & Co selectivity decides where to open a store, creating even more of a high demand for the precious diamonds inside.

Photo

9. Tiffany was one of the first jewelry advertisers to launch a same-sex advertisement for engagement rings.

Always reclaiming its gold medal for the best jewelers worldwide, Tiffany broke the mold once again by airing a commercial of an engagement between a same-sex couple in 2015 saying, “Nowadays, the road to marriage is no longer linear, and true love can happen more than once with love stories coming in a variety of forms. The Tiffany engagement ring is the first sentence of the story that a couple will write together as they create a life that is deeply intimate and exceptional, which is the message we hope to convey through this campaign.”

Photo

10. Tiffany jewelry is an iconic exchange in the white household. (Again, Tiffany is familiar with the White House and government.)

This year, at Trump’s inauguration, Melania passed a large Tiffany blue box to Michelle Obama, former First Lady. Although the gift was an awkward exchange, the bright Tiffany blue was seen over televisions everywhere, proving again that jewelry is the perfect fit for a president’s wife.

In addition to this, for Abraham Lincoln’s inauguration, he gave his wife, Mary a Tiffany pearl necklace.

Photo

Overall, Tiffany & Co. continues to be one of the most well-known and influential jewelry store in the world, and with great power, comes great responsibility. 

SaveSave

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com