Life > Experiences

From Textbooks to Tipples: Turning Your College Major Into A Cocktail Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

(Disclaimer: While we encourage a good time, remember that academics still come first. So, don’t let the good times roll over into your study time. Meanwhile, I hope you have a wonderful read!)

Transforming your college major into a cocktail party requires a dash of creativity, a sprinkle of humour, and a generous helping of fun. But look no further, I have the perfect recipe for you. A customised cocktail menu tailored to your field of study!

College can get excruciating from time to time. Not every weekend will be light, and not every assignment will fetch you the grades you’d expect. Weekends, instead of providing respite, can sometimes feel just as packed as weekdays. With club meetings to attend and readings to catch up on, it is natural to feel burdened and more often than not, burned out. 

Well, fret no more. Here’s your chance to transform your academic pursuits into a cocktail party extravaganza. And to all of you freshmen out there who are soon to embark on Trimester 4, don’t worry about the difficult chore of selecting a major. Consider this to be your initial taste test for academia. 

The Finance And Business Major: 

Dear finance and business majors, before you head straight for the piña coladas (those belong to the Artsy lot, sadly), hear me out. The “Wall Street” isn’t just any sugary concoction. It’s a potent blend of gin and dry vermouth, mirroring the strategic thinking and calculated risks that make your world go round. A dash of orange bitters adds a touch of complexity, just like the ever-shifting financial markets that keep you on your toes. 

Let me ask you this, why would you settle for something so basic after 12 hours of your nose deep into those charts and balance sheets? Take a break, let loose and paint the town red! I am sure you are not as dull as you seem, and besides, who wouldn’t want to raise a glass to the exciting and dynamic world of Wall Street and maybe subtly flex a little about your future earning potential?

The Physics Parody: 

Now, why should you, ambitious physics buffs, cosy up to this libation? Aside from its impeccable taste, “The Whiskey Sour” reflects the exacting nature of your chosen fields. But hey, let’s be real for a moment. While it may not be your go-to electromagnetism study aid, it certainly knows how to add a splash of sophistication to your networking events and science mixers.

This classic cocktail isn’t just a drink; it’s a liquid manifesto of precision, balance, and a dash of daring. Picture this: a smooth blend of whiskey, tart lemon juice, and just the right amount of sweetness, swirling together in perfect harmony. Much like the intricate dance of relativism and thermodynamics, “The Whiskey Sour” strikes the delicate balance between sweet success and sour setbacks.

The Literature Lover: 

Ah, dear literature lovers, has the constant existential dread of Dostoevsky and the emotional turmoil of the Brontë sisters left you craving something a little, well, stronger than Earl Grey? Fear not, for it’s time to turn the page on your social life with the perfect literary cocktail. Like the timeless masterpieces you spend your days examining, the “Martini” is a refined and beautiful classic. This is a potent concoction of gin and vermouth, meant to be shaken rather than stirred, as even the most learned academics wouldn’t advise using it as a hangover aid.

The Psychology Prodigy: 

Textbooks on dream analysis and case studies of personality disorders making you crave a little, well, escape? It’s time to ditch Freud for a second and introduce yourself to your new best friend: the “Long Island Iced Tea.”

We know you folks love to analyse everything. So, let’s dissect this drink, shall we? The “Long Island Iced Tea” is a layered cocktail, packed with a whole lot of diverse ingredients, much like the vast and multifaceted nature of the human mind. Think of it as a liquid representation of your chosen major – intriguing, potent, and not for the faint of heart.

Although cocktails might encourage you to try new things and possibly even some questionable dance moves, we wouldn’t advise making them your go-to study aid. Unfortunately, those textbook chapters won’t read by themselves.

The Poli Sci Enthusiast:

Ever heard of Negroni? Well, it is not what you think it might be. 

It is an Italian classic, a blend of bitter and sweet notes which perfectly mirrors the often nuanced and sometimes, challenging world of politics. Just like navigating the complex world of international relations, the “Negroni” requires a certain acquired taste and an appreciation for subtlety. 

So, there you have it folks, we’ve transformed your academic endeavours into a boozy bonanza. Although this is just a tongue-in-cheek guide, and your majors are more complex and nuanced than any formula for a cocktail. It was all worthwhile if this small bit of mixology mania inspired some thought or maybe strengthened your bonds with your fellow academic explorers. Investigate other areas and try out different experiences; you never know, you might come up with the ideal formula for your success in the future (preferably without the hangover).

-Bidisha Dam

Hey, I am Bidisha. I am a first year student and am very reluctantly pursuing Politics and Literature. Most of my life has been spent in boarding schools, hence why, I have travelled a lot. I love to travel and for reasons unknown, I have become the designated DJ of my friend group. I like watching documentaries when I am angry. I paint with my friends for recreational purposes. And I write only when I am passionate about something. You can find me goofing around campus on weekdays and on my bed, tucked inside a comforter watching previous clips of F1 on weekends. I hope your time here is worthwhile and you enjoy reading our collection of articles as much as we love writing them. :)