Life > Experiences

HOW TO OWN DEADLINES: FROM ONE AMATEUR TO ANOTHER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

I hate deadlines. But I have to deal with them anyway. I don’t know who came up with the idea of creating deadlines, but they were mistaken if they thought it would get work done. The reality is that they build up a lot of pressure…I think. In my short time dealing with them, I have developed a strategy that works.

1. Own Your Deadlines:

The first and best way to tackle deadlines is to make them your own. Set your own targets. Make deadlines according to yourself, within the ones set by your professors, of course. It’s more of a change in perspective. I saw a meme the other day that said “You could give me 10 years to do a task and I would still do it on the last day”, and it couldn’t be more true. The moment you set and control your deadlines, they will become a lot easier and feel like less pressure. Lists, mind maps, calendar reminders, colourful stick-ons, or just remember them in your head – whatever works for you!

2. Know Your Flow of Work & Limits:

Common deadlines are set keeping in mind the average time needed to do the thing. You need to find the time and space that you will need to do the same thing. You can’t meet any deadlines if you don’t know how long it will take you. Understand that you, like everyone else, have limits. Don’t hesitate to ask for an extension every now and then if you really need it.

3. Priortise:

The most trouble I have with deadlines is when I have a bunch of them together. Prioritising the work helps. Once I know my skills and weak points, figuring out the hardest and the easiest assignments doesn’t take long. Also keep the importance of assignments in mind. You can do the easy one first or the hard one – whichever works best! I personally like to do the not so tough, but not so easy stuff first.

Remember it’s not a one day thing. Time management takes time. Understanding yourself takes even longer. There’s no deadline for it!

Born and brought up in the small towns of India. A young woman seeking herself through life. Love books, hate monotonous work, draw inspiration from nature. Currently a first year student at Krea University.