Early poster for the movie \'Mamma Mia!\'
Universal Pictures

7 Reasons Why Mamma Mia! Is A Gem Of A Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

Mamma Mia! is a 2008 film starring Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Christine Baranski, and a whole range of other incredible actors. It’s a jukebox musical, which means that it strings together a group of songs by one artist, in this case ABBA, to create a coherent plotline. Well, kind of coherent. The plot of this movie often makes no sense, and once in a while, things seem to happen just so there can be a song to go with it. But who cares? The point of this movie is to have a blast, to revel in the colours and the songs and the dancing – everything about it is a little too much, and I absolutely love it! Let me tell you why. And I’m not even going to start talking about the sequel (also brilliant and you should watch it!) because if I do, I’ll never stop.

All the colors

First of all, the colors. Oh my god, the colours. Almost every frame of this movie is bright and filled with gorgeous colour palettes that take you straight to Greece.

So much love! 

There’s so much love. There’s a mother-daughter bond, three father-daughter bonds, a few couples, and so many friendships. And all of these relationships are healthy! Yes, they fight, they disagree, and sometimes they have no idea what to do around each other, but there is an overwhelming sense that these people really care about each other, without it being twee and saccharine. How often do you get to see that in a movie?

Meryl Streep 

Meryl Streep sings Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen while roaming through Greece. You do not want to miss that. Make space in the room so you can dance too!

The Music 

Speaking of music – everyone does a fantastic job, except perhaps um…Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth. They’re really trying. It doesn’t sound half bad, to be honest.

The (illogical) plot 

Did I mention a completely illogical plot that can be solved with a single DNA test? The plot is only there to carry the songs. It’s been so long since I’ve watched a movie which was thoroughly enjoyable despite having a loosely constructed plot. It’s delightful.

The costumes

Costumes! Whether it’s Donna’s signature overalls, the clothing of the ensemble, or the disco outfits the Dynamos wear for their song, all the costumes are truly perfect. (And they’re even better in the sequel! I want Sophie’s entire wardrobe and I want it now.)

The joy

At the end you will feel happy. You might cry along the way (I always tear up during “Slipping Through My Fingers”), but at the end you will feel happy. It is funny and joyful and brimming with soul. It is the most feel-good movie I have ever watched, and it never fails to cheer me up.

If you haven’t watched Mamma Mia! yet, please go do that now! And if you have, well, nothing like a rewatch. What are you waiting for?

I'm a second-year undergraduate at Krea University, majoring in Literature. I like dogs, can eat huge amounts of ice cream, and spend a lot of my free time on yarn work.
Akshaya is a final year psychology student at Krea who spends a majority of her time thinking of her endless pile of assignments and crying about them. The rest of the time is split between her taking small steps to change the world, doing things she is passionate about (writing and cooking), and in trying to come up with catchy quotes promoting her friends, her belongings, and herself.