This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Growing up right outside of our nation’s capital exposed me to several things early on: educational burnout at age fourteen, the inescapable frenzy of DC sports fans, and Uber drivers who will charge you extra if you throw up out the window of their car. But more importantly, my proximity to DC introduced me to the many flavors of each townhouse-lined neighborhood. Through my parent’s subscription to the Washingtonian, reading their food reviews was like a second religion growing up. I feel incredibly lucky to have had access to such good food so often. So if you ever find yourself wandering the capital’s streets, refer to this guide for some quality eats. Neighborhood by neighborhood, I’ve outlined some of DC’s finest spots below. Happy grubbing!

Shaw

All-Purpose Shaw: High-quality pizza pies with killer sides.

You must try their: Sedgewick Pizza and Burrata ‘Truffato’

Author’s note: All-Purpose Shaw fondly reminds me of family outings, and for good reason—the atmosphere promotes a sense of togetherness, especially with dishes prepared with the purpose of being shared amongst loved ones. Do yourself a favor and go here. I promise you’ll make good memories.

Seylou Bakery: Good coffee and even better pastries. 

You must try their: Pear & Almond Scone and Cinnamon, Sweet Anise & Raw Sugar Monkey Bread

Author’s note: Seylou is located in a charming corner of the Shaw across from the Salem Baptist Church. If you want some real fun, go on a Sunday and sit outside—sermons are blasted through speakers located outside the church’s entrance. Even if you aren’t religious, there’s something spiritual about scarfing down muffins amongst a spirited homily. 

SKIP: Unconventional Diner

Author’s note: Unconventional Diner has gotten a lot of positive write-ups in the past, but I’m not here for it. The menu is limited, the service is hurried, and the food isn’t the freshest (according to a waiter who once admitted to me that the meatloaf is frozen but thawed and microwaved upon order).

Logan Circle

Etto: Neighborhood Italian food that is small in size but powerful in flavor. 

You must try their: Braised Roma Beans with Smoked Ricotta, Blistered Shishito Peppers, and Cauliflower and Pine Nut Salad

Author’s note: Just go here. You can thank me later.

Le Diplomate: Consistently coveted-over French dining.

You must try their: Mushroom soup

Author’s note: I’m a long-time vegetarian, and French cuisine isn’t the most plant-based friendly. But for what I’ve tried at Le Diplomate, they always blow it out of the park. Plus, if it’s any consolation, my parents can’t stop raving about their selection of meat dishes (I’ve heard the burger is pretty good).

Estadio: Upscale Spanish fusion cuisine. 

You must try their: Patatas Bravas, Sweet Summer Corn, and Bomba Rice

Author’s note: Estadio is amazing. Extra points for the soundtrack that flows throughout the dining space.

Georgetown

Chaia Georgetown: Plant-based Mexican food with unique flavor combinations.  

You must try their: Creamy Kale & Potato Taco

Author’s note: As a vegetarian of several years, Chaia is that one spot in Georgetown that makes my stomach growl every time I think about it. Their tacos are unbeatable and accessible, even for the most ardent carnivores. 

Falafel Inc: High-quality falafel for cheap.

You must try their: Zaatar fries (and pair them with a $3 pita sandwich!)

Author’s note: The prices here are incredible, the staff are wonderful, and the falafel is so, so good. Note that Falafel Inc. doesn’t have much formal seating as the space itself is tiny, so I recommend scoping out a nice spot to eat at beforehand. It’s never fun navigating places to pop a squat with a falafel sandwich in hand.

Good Stuff Eatery: Quality burger joint that will fuel your Georgetown shopping venture.

You must try their: Toasted Marshmallow Shake and Fried Green Tomato Burger

Author’s note: Good Stuff is known amongst my home friends as the go-to for a quality burger. Honestly, if any restaurant would make me eat meat again, it would be this one—I’ve heard too much praise regarding Spike’s Sunnyside Burger. 

SKIP: Clyde’s of Georgetown

Author’s note: Clyde’s is incredibly overpriced for subpar food. Georgetown is full of great spots, so skip this one if you’re searching for a meal worth its cost.

Dupont Circle

Anju: Korean-fusion food that deserves the praise.

You must try their: Dolsot BibimBap, Tornado Potato, and Juk

Author’s note: Anju is all the rave right now and for good reason. The dishes are creative and full of punch. My only warning: make sure you can handle spice. Anju doesn’t play around on that avenue.

SKIP: Happy Gyro

Author’s note: Maybe I haven’t tried the right dishes from Happy Gyro, but it wasn’t the best when I had it last. For the price, you can find better grub in Dupont.

Federal Triangle

Punjab Grill: Authentic Indian dining located in the heart of Federal Triangle.

You must try their: Spinach & Goat Cheese Kulcha and Aloo Tikki Chaat

Author’s note: I have a lot of fond memories at Punjab Grill, but the food constantly reminds me why my family and I keep coming back. It’s the kind of food that warms you from the inside.

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana: Traditional Mexican with a twist.

You must try their: Coliflor Frito, Ensalada de Palmitos, and Huevos Enfrijolados

Author’s note: The interior of the restaurant is colorful, inviting, and everything you could want in a basic brunch spot. The meals, however, are the obvious star of the show, and keep you coming back for more. 

Rasika: Classic Indian cuisine worth the price. 

You must try their: Palak Chaat and Dal Dhungaree

Author’s note: Rasika is unbeatable. I literally daydream about their Dal Dhungaree daily. Just go here.

All in all, you can’t go wrong with most spots—practically every nook and cranny of DC has good food right around the corner. So if you feel so obliged, catch a ride to our nation’s capital and enjoy. Happy grubbing!

Ellie Greenberg is a writer, musician, and student at Kenyon College hailing from Rockville, Maryland. When she’s not scouring the internet for fairly-priced candles, you can find her listening to Joni Mitchell on repeat or playing the guitar. Keep up with Ellie on Instagram and Twitter at @elliergreenberg.