This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Let me begin by saying that if you have never seen an episode of the Cartoon Network series Steven Universe, I believe you are missing out. This is probably not your fault. Our society is gradually moving away from the idea that cartoons that aren’t explicitly for adult audiences (think The Simpsons and South Park) must be only for children, but there’s still a stigma surrounding these cartoons that makes them appear “childish” and encourages adult audiences to favor “real” entertainment. Personally, I see nothing wrong with being entertained by “childish” media such as Spongebob, but that’s beside the point.

Steven Universe premiered on Cartoon Network in 2013. It follows the adventures of the main character, Steven, and his adventures with his trio of alien friends/caretakers,Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst, known collectively as the Crystal Gems. Steven is half-Gem, having been the result of a romance between his human father Greg and the Crystal Gem known was Rose Quartz, who ceased to exist once Steven was born. Together, Steven and the Crystal Gems fight the Gems from the planet known simply as Homeworld who want to take over, exploit, and destroy Earth.

In terms of its content, Steven Universe is one of those “smart” kids’ cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender. Though there are some episodes that are simply goofy or unrelated to an overall plot, such as the crossover with Uncle Grandpa that specifically states that “none of this is canon” in the opening scenes, most of the episodes deal with complex and evolving relationships between the characters and with some characters’ relationships with themselves. Both human and Gem characters deal with depression, PTSD, self-image, and unrequited or lost love. Best of all, these aren’t issues that are dealt with in one special episode about mental health or relationships; the issues continually arise and reoccur throughout the series, and they have a large impact on the overall storyline of the series.

Steven Universe also goes where no cartoon has gone before, boldly pushing the boundaries of representation of LGBTQIA+ characters and dealing with traditional ideas of gender and gender roles. Though it is unclear as to whether or not Gems actually identify as a specific gender in the human sense of the term, they take feminine humanoid forms that suggest that they identify as female. Though Gems procreate through a system that involves forming new Gems beneath the surface of a planet, the idea of an entire female race raises interesting questions. Gems do form romantic relationships, leading to some of the most explicitly presented same-sex relationships in children’s media.

The Gems also defy the restrictions of traditional gender roles. Though some Gems, such as Pearl, display traditionally feminine traits, others such as Jasper and many of the Ruby characters display much more masculine traits. Human characters break these stereotypes, too. One of my favorite things about Steven Universe is that Steven himself breaks so many traditional tropes of the male lead hero. Though he falls into the category of “superhero” in virtually every way, Steven isn’t buff, aloof, or emotionless. He’s a happy-go-lucky young boy who enjoys donuts and isn’t afraid to express his emotions with words. His weapons of choice are a pale pink sword and shield that belonged to his mother, and his animal sidekick is a big pink lion aptly named Lion. When Steven is upset, he cries! Our society places such an emphasis on the idea that “men don’t cry” starting at a very young age, so Steven is an important model of perfectly acceptable and healthy behavior. He breaks the mold of the traditional badass hero while still remaining a badass hero.

Steven Universe is a truly wonderful series that I would recommend to anyone, regardless of their age or previous interest in cartoons. It breaks so many boundaries in relation to gender and heteronormativity, and it’s perhaps the most important source of representation for LGBTQIA+ kids on the air right now. The overarching themes of the series are acceptance and love, two things which we could all use a little more of these days. Maybe it’s time to stop dismissing shows like Steven Universe as childish and start using them to evaluate and improve the world around us.

Image credits: 1, 2, 3,

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.