This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When I was little—I’m not sure exactly how old—I came home one day and asked my parents why there hadn’t been any female presidents. I guess, from a young age, I was aware that women, especially women of color, were not adequately represented in our government. That’s why I am so excited to see five women—the most ever to run in one election—running to be President of the United States in 2020. 

As someone who considers herself to be pretty politically engaged and aware, I believe it is important to do research on, and to know about, all possible candidates running for office. However, it is often difficult to find condensed, straight-forward sources to tell you who the candidates are and what they stand for. I hope this article can serve as that source for the women candidates of 2020. Let’s “meet” the candidates:

1. Elizabeth Warren

From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 

Current Position: Senator from Massachusetts 

Previous Employment: Law Professor at Harvard Law School, Advisor to President Obama on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau 

Political Stances:

• Supports Medicare for All and wants to eliminate private health insurance 

• Has signed the Green New Deal

• Seeks to make higher education tuition free

• Supported the Senate’s Bipartisan Criminal Justice Reform Bill (passed in 2018)

2. Kamala Harris

From: Oakland, California

Current Position: Senator from California

Previous Employment: California Attorney General, District Attorney of the City and County of San Francisco 

Political Stances:

• Wants to reform the criminal justice system

• Desires to make Healthcare accessible to all Americans

• Plans to address the substance abuse problem in the United States

• Seeks to increase access to childcare for working parents 

3. Amy Klobuchar 

From: Plymouth, Minnesota 

Current Position: Senator from Minnesota 

Previous Employment: Corporate Lawyer, Hennepin County Attorney

Political Stances:

• Supports universal health care coverage, but not Medicare for All 

• Wants to see ICE reformed, but not abolished 

• Does not support the Green New Deal, but would have the U.S. rejoin the Paris Accords if she were in office 

• Wants to increase access to technical and vocational schools and forms of education 

4. Tulsi Gabbard 

From: Honolulu, Hawaii

Current Position: Congresswoman from Hawaii, member of the House Armed Services Committee and the House Financial Services Committee 

Previous Employment: Member of the Hawaii Army National Guard, Legislative Aide to Senator Daniel Akaka, Honolulu City Council Member 

Political Stances:

• Advocates for veterans

• Supports moving toward a sustainable economy 

• Wants affordable healthcare and quality education for all

• Fights to ensure that banking and housing policies serve the American people, not Wall Street and Special Interests 

5. Marianne Williamson 

From: Houston, Texas

Current Position: Author

Previous Employment: Author

Political Stances:

• Wants to implement education plans that do not only focus on intellectual performance, but also on cultural, emotional, and psychological well-being

• Supports universal health care coverage 

• Wants to help at-risk youth

• Wants to implement restorative justice, which allows “offenders to directly confront the human costs of their actions and make some form of amends”. Williamson hopes that restorative justice will “prevent repeat offenses” and “rebuild frayed bonds.” 

These are (briefly) the women presidential candidates of 2020. While this article by no means provides all there is to know about these candidates and their policies, I hope it serves as a starting resource to becoming a more informed voter. While I know I will support any Democratic candidate that gets the party’s nomination, I don’t know which candidate I want that to be just yet. And I don’t expect you too either. But, I hope this piece aides you in that decision. And even if it doesn’t, I hope that it inspires you by introducing you to the five diverse women running to be President of the United States of America.

Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gina Golden

Kenyon '22

Gina is a senior International Studies major at Kenyon College who loves traveling, talking politics and playing with her dog.
Jenny Nagel

Kenyon '20

Jenny is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior English and Psychology double major at Kenyon College, and in her free time she loves to sing, cuddle cats, and fangirl over musicals.